Range clock - Disconnect it!

More exactly, there are almost 8766 hours in a year so a

1 Watt load would total 8766 Watt-hours/year or 8.766 kWh. At my cost (Los Angeles) of about 14 cents per kWh this amounts to $1.22.

These things can add up though. A Watt here, a half dozen there and soon you're talking several tens of dollars per year.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

A countdown timer doesn't require a full-fledged time-of-day clock with a display that is on all the time. Indeed, most modern microwaves allow you to turn the TOD clock display off by hitting stop/clear when it first powers up and the clock isn't set. That's a good feature.

I did point out that my coffee maker has a clock because I like the safety feature of a timed cutoff. But, a simple countdown timer could accomplish the safety cutoff. The TOD clock part is useless to me, though I can see how some people can use that for timed starts. Just having the option to turn the TOD clock display off would be a good thing, in my opinion.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

sigh...

106 million households

that's $1.22/household/year/watt * 106e6 house = $129,000,000 pissed away nationally for nothing.

And, to reiterate, that's for _one_ watt of power draw.

.max

Reply to
max

SMS wrote

processor. That is maybe 5 years old.

replaceable battery.

There's very few motherboards from anyone that dont have a replaceable battery now.

None of those have soldered in batterys now.

But dont have a clue about whats happened since then.

Bet you cant list even a single example of one of those with current motherboards.

to power the RTC and CMOS for long

Nope, they didnt use coin cells because they couldnt provide enough capacity for the older RTC and CMOS.

Wrong again. The real change was the current used by the RTC and use of flashram that takes no battery current for the settings.

ALL modern motherboards get YEARS out of the replaceable battery even if you unplug the system from the mains when you arent using it. And it costs peanuts to replace when that is necessary too.

PCI slots so you can do remote power-up

on the board, and can be powered directly

How odd that that wasnt eliminated in the cost cutting too.

You've never had a clue about the basics, which is presumably why you got the bums rush from that importer.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

isnt a transformer.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

The ballast is in series with the tube, so when there is no tube present, there is no current drawn.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

isnt a transformer.

No it isnt.

How odd that the word transformer doesnt even get a mention in

Keep digging, you'll be out in china any day now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote

But it doesnt any effect on the current draw with the device idling.

But doing it that way wont necessarily save any power over one that just the display off when the timed cutoff completes.

I just use it as a convenient clock in the kitchen.

Only if it actually saves any power.

Reply to
Rod Speed

max wrote

You need to get out more.

Nope.

Nope, because conventional plants cant have their load changed quickly.

Wrong, because you cant change the coal plant's output that quickly.

Wrong again.

Pity about what that does to the economics of wind power thats already hopeless.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Yes it does.

Wrong, as always.

Wrong. Some countrys have enough of a clue to not allow that sort of terminal stupidity with their nuke power systems.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Cant even manage its own lines, or even bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

realise isnt a transformer.

How odd that you would rely on a homebrew writeup in Wikipedia. What is not odd is that, even at that, you don't know what you are reading. For openers, please tell us what an inductor is, and what a transformer is.

Reply to
salty

realise isnt a transformer.

Guess these guys didn't believe an amateur entry in Wikipedia:

salty

On 6/4/2008 12:16 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

I hate to admit it, but the guy's correct here: a transformer is an inductor, but one with more than one winding, so that there's an electrical--> magnetic--> electrical transfer going on. A ballast is just a plain inductor.

But this guy's such an asshole, why bother continuing this argument?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 6/4/2008 12:21 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

That *is* a transformer (or it contains a transformer); we're talking about the "old school" ballasts, which are just inductors.

But what I said before about not bothering arguing w/this asshole still holds.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

realise isnt a transformer.

They clearly dont have a clue about the difference between a ballast and a transformer.

A transformer has two separate windings, a ballast/choke/inductor has just one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yeah, it's not really worth the trouble. He's been posting his nonsense for many years. Some folks call him Rod Speedbump because he's such an impediment.

Reply to
salty

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On 6/4/2008 4:04 PM Rod Speed spake thus:

[...]

"Hey, honey, could you smack that record player one more time? The needle's stuck again!"

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

stuck again!"

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Good introspection there.

Reply to