Range clock - Disconnect it!

Page 8 of 12

We aint horses, Tonto.

Not possible, because more than simple ohm's law is involved.

Depends on how much power you want to move thru it.

Its not that EASY, but still worth doing in some situations.
On 6/1/2008 3:53 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

So far as that goes, keep in mind that as the voltage increases, the size of the conductors needed to carry the electricity decreases (that's one reason long-distance transmission lines are HV). So you can either increase the size of the conductors, or step the voltage up using existing conductors.
conversation with the average voter.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

task presented by the increased voltage. :-)

Yes, the power companys do that all the time.

Fraid not, essentially because the price of copper has increased dramatically too.

Nope, that would never have survived the dramatic increase in the use of electricity.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

No kidding. I wonder what kinda car the OP'er drives.

That bit was JUST about the clock. There is no wall wart with a range.

And the clock he stupidly disconnected doesnt.

Too small an amount to bother about for anyone by a mindless anal obsessive.

See above.

Nope, completely stupid waste of time.
On 6/1/2008 3:27 PM Rod Speed spake thus:

You're missing the point, my friend. You're thinking "how much money will someone save on their electric bill by disconnecting a clock?" (the answer to which is, of course, practically nothing). I'm talking about the *collective* energy usage of all those millions of clocks, wall warts, etc., plugged in out there.
conversation with the average voter.
wrote

I suspect that many wall-warts waste way more power that the electric clock in an old oven.
<SNIP previously quoted material>

All of these consume mostly 1-2 watts apiece. Electric clocks usually consume about 2 watts.
Many but far from all wallwarts have losses more like 3, a few times 4 watts when fully loaded. Ones dissipating that much power get very warm.
Switcher type cell phone chargers tend to have losses around or under a watt, usually well under a watt once the battery is charged.
As for power consumption of an LED in an AC-powered device, including related power dissipations and losses in associated circuitry and the power supply circuitry: Often anywhere from .05 to .4 watt. This is usually .05 to .2 watt per LED in decices that have more of them. These figures can easily be reduced by at least 75% using modern higher efficiency LEDs, which are still usually not used for indicator lights because they cost a few cents more than ones of technology that was standard in the early 1980's.
Clock radios tend to consume anywhere from 1 to 4 watts apiece. Clock displays on microwave ovens and VCRs tend to consume about half a watt to a watt, give or take depending on the technology used.
Now, for appliances that constantly consume a little power when they are "off":
The converter box that I just got for my older tech TV consumes less than a watt when it is "off", but it is consuming some power to run a red LED and to be receptive to the remote to turn it "on". I just measured my TV as drawing 12 watts when "off", according to my "Kill-A-Watt" watt-meter, which actually measures true power consumption as opposed to "reactive" and "harmonic", even for electronic-ballasted CFLs. At my electricity rate, the off-time for my TV costs me about $13 per year! I oughtta get a power strip with a switch for it and the converter box!
My desktop computer's ATX power supply is not fully "off" when "shut down" by any means other than turning off the switch on the back of the power supply or disconnecting it from AC power. The motherboard has an LED that glows whenever the power supply is receiving power, and I hear a very brief high piched squeal of the power supply's switching frequency becoming audible whenever I do what it takes to make that motherboard LED go out. I now have my desktop on a power strip with a switch to make it fully "off" when I want it "off". At least some printers also consume a little power when "off". Supposedly, some of those perform a cleaning operation (with some ink consumption) when power is applied/restored.
snip

I think that's common. And ink costs more than electricity.
I've just dumped my Epson, which consumed vast amounts of ink during cleaning cycles, for an HP which recycles the ink back into the cartridge. I don't mind turning my HP off, although it appears to have a switch mode power supply.
HP has spent a large fortune on printer technology lately and the big print shops are using HP's.
Jeff

Nope, you are.

You're no friend of mine.

Nope. I rubbed your nose in the FACT that with the RANGE being discussed, the use of electricity by the clock is such a trivial part of what the rest of the RANGE uses that it isnt worth bothering about unless you are a mindless anal obsessive.

So it isnt worth bothering about disconnecting THE CLOCK IN THE RANGE which happened to be what the OP was stupid enough to bother about.

Pity that hardly anyone is actually stupid enough to bother to disconnect the clocks in many of the RANGES out there.
And if you care about what a wall wart uses, the only thing that makes any sense at all is to replace the ones that are the dinosaur transformer based wall warts with proper modern switch mode wall warts instead and save virtually all of the power those use, and have the convenience of being able to leave them plugged in all the time.
On 6/1/2008 5:23 PM Rod Speed spake thus:

Well, yes, that would be an improvement.
conversation with the average voter.
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 17:41:55 -0700, David Nebenzahl

One suggestion made earlier in this group was to plug your charging devices into a power strip that has an on/off switch. (forget about the fact that the plugs are not designed to only take up one outlet space)
Every little bit does help, and it is the right thing to do.
I don't really think Al Gore is doing his part, but that is another story. :)

That is changing, especially notably with cell phone chargers. Notably, the slim cell phone chargers have switchmode circuitry. The smallest 60 Hz iron core transformers I have seen that can put out a couple watts won't fit in those.

Al Gore's Home Energy Use Up 10%
Since June, 2007 the former VP's personal electricity consumption was up 10% according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.
Gore's energy usage is under a microscope because of his worldwide push to slow global climate change through energy conservation.
In the past year, Gores home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.
More at http://tinyurl.com/3oe8yq
[snip]

I think the point being made in this discussion is also how much people are being penny wise and pound (dollar) foolish.
Before one worries about how much electricity is being wasted by LEDs and clocks and small electrics that are in standby (these days it seems nothing is every truly and completely turned off) one should worry how much energy they are wasting in their high-draw devices such as the hot water heater, the refrigerator, the stove, etc.
Once someone has addressed the unnecessary losses there (are you keeping your water heater on too high a setting? are you standing there staring into the 'fridge with the door open thinking about what to eat?) then they should feel free to also eliminate the small losses.

I had one (early) DVD player that, when turned off, merely turned off the LED on the front panel. The power supply was still fully supplying power to the board and drive, even when turned off.
[snip]

Current ones (at least should) turn off the video output(s) too. This allows you to use an automatic audio/video switch.
I would expect motors to be off as well.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
David Nebenzahl wrote:

waste. People tend to focus on big things but it is the small wasteful or efficient things multiplied by hundreds of millions of users that really ad up. Those cheepo wall wart power supplies waste power in two ways. One is standby loss. Assume they loose a low 3W/each and you have 10. That is a waste of 22.32kwh/month per home just having them plugged in and not even doing anything useful.
Then the cheepo power supplies are quite inefficient when powering a load. I have read that the waste is collectively over 50 billion kwh/year in the US.

I have and I'm annoyed at some of these commercials, even though I do understand about vampire electrical use. My 1960+ Sunbeam Toaster and basic Mr. Coffee (just has the on/off switch) do not use electricity while sitting on the counter plugged in. Yet based on some of those commercials the average consumer would think they do. They don't say how to tell if you have vampires in your house. However, I do know that my microwave, TV(s), vcr(s), cable box(es) etc. do. But I don't feel like reprogramming everytime I want to use them, so I let them continue to feast.