Random tool observation

First off, thanks to all who posted responses a few days ago to my "Molding style" question. I decided to go with a built-up molding.
I need to get a plate joiner. Not being a pro, I felt I didn't need a porter or dewalt, so I went to Harbor Freight. I thought the tools were absolute junk and an accident waiting to happen. It felt like I was shopping the "Job Lot" (New england people know what I am talking about) of tools. Am I off-base on this?

The only thing I can say...if you need a one-time tool-for a DIY job...instead of hiring someone...it could be an option.

Nope.
--
Regards,
JohnnyC wrote:

Partly.
You can get a 25' Stanley locking tape measure for SRP of $39.23 or a Harbor Freight model for $1.99. There's probably not a lot of difference in the inches.
A Black & Decker orbital sander can be had for about $24.00. HF has one for $10.00.
You can get a Leviton GFCI outlet for about $33.00. The HF model is $13.00. Both UL listed.
Now if you want a milling machine or a spot welder...
HeyBub wrote:

HD or Lowes or Sutherlands for $9.99

True, but there is a huge difference in how smoothly it retracts, how long the spring will last, and the feel in your hands.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

At home, I have a Stanley. At the office, where tools grow legs, I have a dayglo green Big Lots (discount store) $3.99 special, with my name written on it in Sharpie broadpoint. Back when I swung a hammer for a living, I think it was a Lufkin.
(Driving a desk for a living, I don't really NEED tools at work. But for pissant stuff, it is easier to do it myself, than to do the paperwork to have the greenshirts do it. And I find it comforting to have some small symbols of reality around.)
aem sends...

Nope. HF has mostly junk. If you want low end, check out brands like Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least.