Ran the dishwasher with no water - now it won't take water in

I made a major mistake the other day. The hose fell off the tap and therefore ran it's entire cycle with no water. Now it won't allow water in when we turn it on.
Is this a quick fix or did I break it beyond repair?
You *may* have burned out the pump, but it sounds as though the solenoid is not opening to allow water in. Is this a portable model?

Seems to me that most dishwasher fill from water pressure only (ie valve simply opens to allow the water to flow) and the pump just recirculates and/or pumps water out at end of cycles. I would also think that the dishwashers cycle wouldn't continue unless it had enough water in it. Your model/mileage may vary though.
I'd be looking at the water inlet valve - it very well may have retired.
Helpful site here www.repairclinic.com
On 23 May 2006 04:49:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think the dishwasher is having emotional problems. Either that or your nervous and are making some mistake.
Jackson is right. You should give the brand and model number, but pretty much, if it doesn't have enough water, it won't go to the next step.
How long did you let it run until you went to empty it? All weekend? Maybe it kept the valve open for 12 or 72 hours and burned out or tired out the input valve.

It might be the input valve, but it might be something else. If you want to learn to be handy, you can fix it. Not that expensive. We'll talk about testing and deciding which part it is, later.