Ran oil out on riding mower -

Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200 to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet and buy new?

Thanks

Reply to
mar10

Buy a new motor but 2200 is way to high, I would not repair it if it wont turn over easy, if it seized it melted and warped.

Reply to
m Ransley

Jeez, you can get the old Chevy rebuilt for that. Talk to small engine places out in the country that need business. Or, look into buying a "short block" (no carb, starter, ...) and put that in yourself. It's not hard.

Reply to
Stubby

I don't know how mechanically capable you are, but many times small engines just don't have the power to really chew themselves up. It isn't like a V-8 where you have seven others pounding on the stopped one. I'd try; put thin oil in the crank case, atf would do, then fill it with penetrating oil through the spark plug holes & let it sit for a couple of days (leave the spark plugs out). Then try turning it back and forth with a wrench a little at a time. If you begin to gain a little, stay with it till you get full revolutions. Once it begins to turn easier spin it with the starter till it turns easily by hand with the plug still out, drain the crankcase change the filter and refill with your regular oil, replace the spark plugs. If you are lucky it should start and run now, if you are really lucky it won't knock or smoke.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

dang.... sorry for you and your dad......

I had the dip stick pop out on two craftman mowers of mine...one a push mower and the other my rider....didnt lose all the oil though but I lost quite a bit in both......and neither were hurt by the experience...... the push mower died because of just being old and abused...10 or 11 years old.... of course my old monkey wards 3.5 hp POS mower is abused on a weekly basic but is still kicking it after 25 years.....~:> rough yard...some places I have to jam the old monkey wards under brush etc.... and lots of hilly uneven spaces...mower is on a 30 degree incline sideways during most of its use...and I use it as my trim mower....25 years....one of monkey wards bottom dollar mowers....that says a lot. When that mower finally dies Im still gonna keep it. 26 actually...bought it in 80 ..used it that summer.

getting all misty eyed...sorry.......~:>

I'd probably just get the new mower.....and I'd try to do a check on it every so often for your dad so this doesnt occur again. Maybe you could sell the old mower and possibly make at least a few bucks for some gasoline.

Reply to
cornytheclown

I'd think a small engine repair shop _might_ do it for less, but will Sears stand behind their work? I think you could probably by a complete replacement engine for roughly $1500 and be a little ahead.

However, before I leapt into either of those scenarios, I would try Eric's suggestion--I was going to suggest it would be worth seeing what you could do to "unseize" it before investing a bunch as you're really not going to be any worse off than you already are and if it doesn't run or knocks badly or blows/burns a lot of oil you're not going to want to spend the money on it anyway--a new one would be far better investment. Don't know how good the mower itself is, I was never particularly enamored of the Sears stuff I have seen, but by the time they're putting in 25 hp engines, maybe they've built the platform up to it. If so, and is only three years old, then the new engine if look hard and find a decent deal might be worth it--sorta' gets to be a judgement call on whether you'd like a whole new, shiny beastie or save a few hundred bucks, maybe...

Anyway, bummer!!! :(

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Sorry to hear that. The engine is toast.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

your best bet is to ask a small engine shop how much they would charge to change the engine with a short block...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I have the same mower & engine and my filter came loose also. Luckily I noticed it before any damage was done. Point being that Sears may have a problem with that engine (or filters) and are not telling anyone. You might push the issue with a letter to corporate headquarters.

I also have a Sears 18hp mower whose engine is just about wore out. I priced parts from a small engine shop for a rebuild and they ran approximately $1500. Thats why I bought a new mower. A new 25hp V-twin Kohler engine from Northern Tool & Equipment costs $1700 plus shipping - cheaper than Sears but still not worth putting on a used mower. Point being a rebuild of the existing engine or a new engine just isn't worth it.

Sorry about that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You already learned the lesson of never having Sears service anything.

I'd try a small engine guy. Some are really good at getting things going at reasonable cost. We used to have a guy in town that did it as a sideline. I think he just liked the challenge of making it run again as he worked so damned cheap.

If that does not work out , you may have some luck selling it for a few bucks (yes, someone will be interested) and buy a new one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

call local koehler dealer to price a replacement engine.

sears service is by far the most expensive way to get anything fixed.

the bend you over hold your ankles and dont even bother with KY jelly

Reply to
hallerb

You should be able to buy that engine for about $900 and bolt it on yourself. Go here to find a dealer in your area.

He'll need your spec # serial# and any other numbers on that plate.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

You run a kohler out of oil, and it probably broke at least one of the rods in half.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I had a similar problem. I found that...

  1. Sears is ridiculously expensive
  2. Kohler is ridiculously expensive

I wound up replacing the 18 HP Kohler with a 25 HP Tecumseh for less than half the price of the Kohler. One source...

dadiOH

Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my shortblock replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions. This link might be your engine which is about $500 cheaper than Sears is quoting you.

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is about $750. Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they will charge you to dis and re-assemble the engines. It could be that it's not worth it.

Reply to
C & E

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free shipping on orders over $100.

Reply to
C & E

Save sales tax in many cases, buying from the web.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

A new one from Northern Tool runs about $1800.

Rich256

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not so! On your state income tax form there is a spot for untaxed out of state purchases. Everyone keeps track of this and puts the total when they file. Don't you? Hell, one year I put 5 figures in the line. They were all zeros though...

Reply to
Al Bundy

No state tax in NV (grin). My last purchase on the web was 4K, no shipping and no sales tax.

Oren

Reply to
Oren