Raised the heating fuct return

Page 2 of 2
yaofeng wrote:

Because you'd want to be sure that the system was sized correctly. Maybe your neighbors with identical homes are all oversized, too. That would be quite common. The ONLY way to know is to do a heat gain calculation.
Or live with the question. Your choice.

He has been living with the same sized unit for years now. So have he neighbors. What is a calculation tell him that experience is not?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/95/950509.html

Hmm. Young first time buyers may not know there's something better than what they already have. That happens with many details of home ownership, as well as car maintenance, boat maintenance, garden maintenance.

Engineering isn't science? I'm never driving over a bridge again! And by the way - it's possible to install an AC unit that's too large for your house. It'll cool the air down quickly, but not run long enough to remove humidity. Bummer. Makes for a clammy feeling house.
No engineering isn't science.
yaofeng wrote:

Right...that's why an engineering degree is a Bachelor of What degree?

Cooking?

Hes not a mechanical engineer? So, basically, you are having an electrician, do your mechanical work....thats like hiring a plumber to do sheetrock.

As someone that IS in the field of mechanical work, yes, all three can make the same mistake, and all three can talk to you like you want to be talked to. If no one did a proper manual J, or T, or D, then all 3 are screwing you. You want professional work you should expect professional work. If no ones done their work, then its all guesstimates.

Any legitimate contractor, will: Document every move on a job. Document every sizing calculation to defend his position, and in most areas now, any AC permit must have a load calculation with it, so that in the event there is a mold claim at a later date, the contractor can show where he sized the unit properly, and installed it correctly to code. He will also document any changes to the original agreement with a change order, signed by himself, the homeowner and any subs involved. While respect, reputation and trust all factor in, you dont get that way by not doing your job properly. I can also tell you that depending on your region, a 15SEER unit wont be the same size as a 10SEER on the same home. You also can NOT use the same duct that a unit installed in 1971 used on a new 12SEER unit, much less a 15SEER. If you are truly an engineer, you understand why proper calculations are important for you to have the correct information on paper when all is said and done....therefore, going on a mans word, isnt the way you want it done. Also, have you asked your friend how many calculations he will do AFTER the unit is installed to insure you have the SEER you paid for? You should get a sheet with over 100 calculations done, AFTER the unit is installed, showing that you have the proper SEER. Meaning, in plain English, you paid for a 15SEER unit, are you really getting 15SEER, or only 10?
As a homeowner, anyone I hire to work on my home better back up their talk with some facts. Being in a building trade, as a company owner, we get to see alot more than the average man, in regards to home repair, and contruction. We see some real crappy work, and we see some real nice stuff that would be called overkill by some. One thing we have learned is that the low bid is not always the wrong bid, nor is the high or middle bid always the best....however, we have been, and continue to be staunch in our position that most HVAC contractors are rapists, not all, but most, and since the average man knows little to nothing about the trade, these guys go out, and rip people off daily. They are not the ones you find posting in self help groups, or in the alt.hvac group. They are the ones that charge $300 to show up on a Sat afternoon, and do nothing. They are the ones that charge $35 a pound for refrigerant and never use a scale....they are the ones that think that charging a system only requires the use of a jug of R22 and a set of guages...nevermind the other 5 to 10 tools that are required to do it right.
If you are NOT getting documentation to the size of the unit, HOW that size was come to, the duct layout, WHY that duct layout was needed, and documentation about the final testing, you are getting screwed. Period. You can be happy with the price you paid, you can be happy with the installation, you can be happy with it all without it, but bottom line, without it, you have a POS installation, since all the legwork was not done properly.

Were you part of the team at NASA for the Columbia mission?

I'm going to buck the experts here. Forget the Manual J.
In a new house, new design, I'd agree 100% that the Manual J calculations should be done. If, however, you'll lived in the house for 15 years, it has been very comfortable with a given sized unit, it is the same as 10,000 other similar homes in the region that have the same sized units and are comfortable, I'd trust the guy with 35 years experience to say, "yep, this size is OK".
I don't care how well the calculations are done, the situation will change anyway. You have three more kids that add body heat and more laundry and the associated heat load. Cooking heat load. A big tree gets cut down. A small tree grows up. The four teenagers you have now move out of the house and it is just the two of you. You add a better storm door. You leave the garage door open. All these things affect how well the AC works in YOUR situation.
I told the story before. I used to quote tooling for our company. I'd do the estimate in less than five minutes. The engineer in the machine shop would do the calculations over a period of three days and a few hours of actual calculating and getting quotes from suppliers. We'd be within $100 or less on a $10,000 tool, every time. He felt the need to do the math each and every time. I started out looking at what he quoted for a similar item and use his numbers over and over again.
If you feel comfortable with the guy, he is probably the best for you in your situation.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks. This is exactly what I was referring to. Experience counts.
yaofeng wrote:

The return changes should help. How much will be seen. The issue Travis presented is valid. I would have the computations done.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Panning joists violates the codes in most areas. Not doing a load calculation also violates the codes. What other code mis he going to violate. He may explain things, but he must be explaining things wrong if violating codes is ok with him. Check the International Mechanical Code and International Residential Building Code, now used all over the USA, except in the few places where there are no codes.
Stretch
Dear Sir or Maam
You really need to watch your vocabulary. The words "Heat Fuct" is not a nice thing to say on a public newsgroup. If you dont like your heat, simply state that. There is no need to use the "F-word" or any derivitive of it. And just for the record, heat is not capable of fornicating, just like neither is a hammer (to those of you who say something like "hand me that fu__ing hammer). Inanimate objects are not capable of fornicating. To reproduce, they need workers and factories, and none of these objects are ever given a birth certificate because they do not actually reproduce, they are instead manufactured in mass quantities.
Please go wash your mouth out with soap now !!!!