Rainhandler

Last couple of years I've had my share of problems with ice damming and the resulting water infiltration. Have begun planning on installing snow melt/de-icer cable on the roof and gutters.
However a recent issue of Popular Science has an as for the Rainhandler system. Lots of nice claims. Wondering what the real world results are like.
Last couple of years I've had my share of problems with ice damming and the resulting water infiltration. Have begun planning on installing snow melt/de-icer cable on the roof and gutters.
However a recent issue of Popular Science has an ad for the Rainhandler system. Lots of nice claims. Wondering what the real world results are like.
chief snipped-for-privacy@go.nospam.com says...

I asked about this system when I had my roof re-done 3 years ago. The roofer told me that the product wasn't "really" designed for areas with heavy ice damming or snowfall as it had a tendency to break under the weight before any de-icer can get rid of the bulk of the snow. He said either go with standard gutters or just use a slightly heavier duty edge guard- at a substantially lower cost to me, and less profit for him.
Just the opinion of the guy who did my roof- YMMV.
/vic
says...

I installed these slatted substitutes for gutters a few years ago. I don't get snow. They damage easily. They do direct rain away from the house for about a story.
TB
On 22 May 2004 12:13:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Tom Baker) wrote:

Looks like the de-icer cables will be the better option.
Jim:
J > Last couple of years I've had my share of problems with ice damming J > and the resulting water infiltration. Have begun planning on J > installing snow melt/de-icer cable on the roof and gutters.
As a tangent to the cables on the roof, also have them here. Have them controlled by X-10 controllers using a separate House ID from that of the lighting: don't want them to come on or be shut off by an ALL ON or ALL OFF command!
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* "Dowwwwwn't feaw the Weaper" -- Blue yster Fudd
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:33:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

Been doing some reading along those lines. Curious which brand you chose for the cables and the controller? Also did you do the work or hire a someone (handyman, roofer, electrician) to install the system?