Rainbird sprinkler question

I have a spray head that appears to be leaking. When it is extended, there is a finger of water shooting from the base, up one side of the shaft. Is this something easily fixable or should I just replace it?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

My house has Rainbird system. If it is pop-up head, you can replace it. You may need to dig around the head down to the fitting and unscrew it off and screw in replacement. Use some Teflon tape on the threads.

I just dug it up today. It is a 25 y/o system and has settled so I was putting on some extensions. It isn't leaking at the fitting and I Teflon taped it. It is just at that one part and I was hoping I didn't need to replace it.