Rain damaged sheet rock - repair or replace

I have a home in Dallas Texas whose rof has a leak and damaged multiple areas of sheetrock in the ceiling. This is the third time this area has been repaired by the home builder. The home is currently 1 1/2 years out of warrantly however the last repair covered under the warrantly for the roof leak was

Reply to
dirkperritt

Pay for independant advise, obviously he isnt fixing it right and most likely is not now going to do it properly. Most likely the correct way to repair the leak is extensive and expensive. Get your advise and go to small claims if it cant be done right. Oh the drywall, I cant see it from here. Id be more worried about rot and mold in the attic.

Reply to
m Ransley

You may want to ask about your state's lemon laws with regards to new homes. You have an ongoing problem that could easily escalate into a mold problem. You should collect your papers on the warranty work and repairs to date, along with your photos, and ask consumer affairs or whomever handles such things in Texas, how to deal with the situation. A lawyer is also a good idea, but that will certainly raise the hackles of the builder and pretty much force a lawsuit. You may have no choice.

RicodJour

Clearly this problem is bigger than the drywall. You need to leak fixed properly, then the proper repair made. Almost certainly that will call for new drywall. I like both ideas suggested. You are going to need some authoritative help to get this fixed right. Checking with your local (state?) authorities may be a good place to start. If you can't find anything there, I would suggest a local attorney. This could be an expensive thing if you let it go.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Phisherman