Rain Barrels

Hi all, Since you are talking about rain barrels, I thought I'd let you know that www.rainbarrel.ca helps non-profit groups raise funds by selling rain barrels. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make $3000+ Please take a look: www.rainbarrel.ca Have a great day, Leah

I actually had a look at that (Canadian) site. The original posting was definitely an advertisement, but I'm not sure I'd call it spam, because there seems to have been no effort made at concealment, deception or misdirection.
Firstly, this "Leah Pomerantz" may have been posting through Google, but her email address appears to be legit, and her posting name is the same one she uses on the Rainbarrel site. Secondly, the site gives two physical addresses (not far from Niagara Falls), with phone numbers appropriate for those physical locations. Plus it gives operating hours. And finally, the site /does/ actually have to do with the distribution and sale of rain barrels.
If you're in Canada, this might actually be a good way to get hold of a rain barrel if you can't find one anywhere else.
--
Tegger

I'd say anything that is of a commercial advertisement nature, that starts off a new post with a lie, ie "Since you were all talking about rain barrels...." is in fact spam.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

No lie. There is a lengthy thread (started on Wednesday by "Edge") that involved rain barrels and groundwater.
--
Tegger

But "Leah" didn't do any of that, which was my point. Everything sho posted, and everything on their website, appears to be quite legitimate.

I guess it depends on how you define "spam". From what it says in the Wiki page, the original message was not actually spam. An advertisement for sure, but not spam. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup_spam>
--
Tegger

No.
--
Tegger

I was using Google because I have to. I have also today been reporting a couple dozen Spams with one click on Google groups.
Let me go back to clicking..
greg
Bob F wrote:

in awhile so I use Google Groups as a backup. This group doesn't have much spam at all compared to the other groups I also access through Google. AHR would seem to be a prime target for the spammers. Leah's post doesn't seem like a big deal if it is in fact a money raising mechanism for the non profits.