Rain

Page 1 of 2
Why is it I can keep my garden wet and fertilised, but after a rain the plants always get a bigger boost. Im on city water. I live on a lake and wonder if pumping lake water would have the same effect as rain.

after a rain

I live on a

effect as

No. And you know that. Why keep trolling?
Who is trolling Pop Nuts

Actually, that COULD be a legit question. Many people in this area use a pump with a pickup at the lake for lawn sprikler systems..

Because rain water doesn't contain chlorine.
Brigitte

This is Turtle.
Rain water is just about pure as you can get it but may have a little stuff in it. It is Distilled water from the air and city water has all kinds of stuff to kill germs and stuff to help your teeth not fall out. What Man Drinks should not be put on nature.
TURTLE
If its not so good for plants well it isnt so good for us, I will stick to beer

So, you're assuming that beer is good for plants?
Its not a Troll, for for I just put in 85 large Hostas and perennials and have a moldy green thumb to. We in the midwest went through a super dry april and I watered everything , kept the ground wet. Well after the First rain wham everything pops. Now after 3 weeks no rain it rains and next morning same thing . I have great soil , soil is wet 14" deep and heavily fertilised, but Rain makes a difference , Yes we have chlorene , flouride, but there may be a O3 relationship , nitrogen , or its the chlorene , flouride. A Troll, Go grow some tomatoes guys , They are better than store bought any day, mine often go to 1.5 lb. Remember water is not water , if you people Knew what I was talking about you wouldnt have responded as a Troll.... The beer is for me as Turtle helped me again.
Did ya know there are over 2000 variaties of Hostas and Sum and Substance has a record of Four feet x 114 inches. Mine are big and yes I saw a 4" pop after the rain in 12 hrs. Amazing. If the plants do better maybe the " Naders " are right about Flouride and Chlorene. Even my Lawn never looks great till a rain.
What is nature telling us.

This is Turtle.
If the city water was all that good or pure. Why do All manufactors of refrigerators recommend putting a carbon type filter in the water line going to the ice and water in the Door before you drink it. Carbon filter will remove everything out of the water so you can drink it.
I got a ideal for you. There is a fellow here that has a open top holding tank that he puts his water in it before he puts it on his garden. He says it will let the Sun kill off any bateria and let the chemical evaperate off. He says the Chlorine will evaperate out in 24 hours in the open tank. He also says the Bleach or Chlorine is not good for plants. He says this works for what your talking about.
TURTLE
You are right Turtle a tank would be nice, but now that I realise this water problem ,I have a free lake I can pump out of and save alot on my water bill , I even see some distant relatives of yours in it , snappers . Either way its always something isnt it.

This is Turtle.
The Lake / The Tank Daaaaaaaaaaaa . The Sun has worked on that water there for a good while and would be good.
Harbor Freight has a Transfer pump 1" -- 1 H.P. [ Electric motor and pump ] for $59.00 . All you need is a supply line and water hook up. If I can remember i think it is self priming too. Free Shipping with anything over $50.00 and no sales tax.
All them Relatives don't like Chlorine either.
TURTLE

for
This is Turtle Again.
Correction here Pump and motor is $79.99 and not $59.99 . It's a 1-1/4 H.P. motor with 1" pipe hook up. It on 115 volt service it is a 3/4 H.P. and 21 G.P.M. the two forms of info on the webpage of harbor freight does not match up here. So they have a water pump for $79.99 and that is all we know. Even if it is a 3/4 H.P. it will do all you want.
TURTLE

You need a bit more info on the pump. Transfer rate alone won't help if you are trying to set up a sprinkler system. Many pumps have high transfer rates but low head or delivery pressure.
Harry K

for
pump ]

remember i

no
up
it
This is Turtle.
The Webpage there displays the pump as a Shallow well pump for home use. Then it will be designed for at least 100 psi and over 10 gal. per minute rate. House and water well pumps have a min-uses rate to have. If it will not keep this rate up. The customer will bring it back to seller. The show heads will just go down to a dribble when you get going good. It's got to stay a head of a show running or you get it back to the seller. Now they could have even screw that up too.
We still really don't know what it is for now.
TURTLE

Well pumps are usually on a 30-50 psi switch. Some even run 20-40. I have never seen one running over 70. I know my well will put out ~12.5 gal per minute on a 30-50 switch for 20 hours because I just filled my pool.

never
hours
This is Turtle.
Pumps are '' rated '' at 100 psi for water flow ability or Gal. per minute but are not run at 100 psi in the operation of a home well system. The pressure of the water in the home system is dictated by the pressure regulator / control installed on it and like you say 30 to 50 psi on them.
The 10 Gal. Per minute is the low end of the scale for a water well service to a home. You have 12.5 gal per minute filling the pool so you have a little better than normal. They make lesser pumps than your to be called normal.
TURTLE

troll or not, the question is good. I have noticed the same effect, water like crazy doesn't do near as much good as a 1/4" rain. And I am on a well with nothing added to the water.
Harry K

tank
will
the
This is Turtle.
Even if you have well water you still CAN have stuff in it that Distilled water will not like Rain water will. Ground water still CAN have stuff like Ironsulfate, methane vapor, Iron, Run off Chemicals, DDT, Round Up from someone in Ohio, Oil Well injection of Salt water, and a host of other chemical that man has turned loose. Well water most of the time is suppose to be good but Man has been messing around down there for a long time to mess it up. Also City water starts with well water and Man gets to mess it up some more.
Man can screw up anything if give enough of time.
TURTLE