Railroad torpedos

I doubt there is much potassium chlorate in the flare part but I imagine the striker head uses it. That is a big safety match that strikes on the cap.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 1/21/2010 6:54 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

Agreed; after all, keep in mind this is from Kalmbach Publications, publishers of /Model Railroader/, which, while it's the largest-circulation model RR mag, is far from authoritative on many things. The folks there are railfans, but not necessarily all that knowledgable about railroad operations, and definitely not the world's greatest railroad historians either.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've had some military vets tell me about setting C-4 plastic explosive on fire and it would just burn unless you were to stomp on it, in which case it would explode. I don't know if it's true or not.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

-snip-

Never had an MRE, but I liked most of the C-Rat meals. Ham & Limas, and Beans and Balls were not my favs--- but with a little Tabasco most of the others were pretty tasty- and you got filled up in a hurry so you could get back to important stuff like 'science experiments.'

Never played with dynamite- but a friend [who now has blue freckles all over his face and one arm] discovered that black powder is more volatile than smokeless.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Same here

Reply to
gfretwell

TNT suffers from a similar fault although it isn't nitroglycerine that comes out. The result can be the same.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Harry K" wrote

I'm well aware of all that. I was using the 'burn' as in ther vernacular and I doubt any one reading it was confused.

Harry K

New here, huh?

Reply to
Steve B

Not if you figure being here since the 'Deja News" days is new.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not if you figure being here since the 'Deja News" days is new.

Harry K

Been here that long, and still haven't caught on, eh?

Reply to
Steve B

Do youi have a point? Yes, I am well aware of the tendency for a pedant to show off. I am assuming (yes I know) that you know what a pedant is.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That describes some building inspectors I know. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas