Railroad torpedos

Page 2 of 2

-snip-
Never had an MRE, but I liked most of the C-Rat meals. Ham & Limas, and Beans and Balls were not my favs--- but with a little Tabasco most of the others were pretty tasty- and you got filled up in a hurry so you could get back to important stuff like 'science experiments.'<g>

Never played with dynamite- but a friend [who now has blue freckles all over his face and one arm] discovered that black powder is more volatile than smokeless.
Jim

Same here

TNT suffers from a similar fault although it isn't nitroglycerine that comes out. The result can be the same.
I'm well aware of all that. I was using the 'burn' as in ther vernacular and I doubt any one reading it was confused.
Harry K
New here, huh?

Not if you figure being here since the 'Deja News" days is new.
Harry K
wrote

Not if you figure being here since the 'Deja News" days is new.
Harry K
Been here that long, and still haven't caught on, eh?

Do youi have a point? Yes, I am well aware of the tendency for a pedant to show off. I am assuming (yes I know) that you know what a pedant is.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

That describes some building inspectors I know. *snicker*
TDD
On Jan 21, 1:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Seems reasonable that it would not set it off, at least not reliably. One of the big advantages of dynamite was how stable it is and how difficult it is to set it off accidently. Just banging it around won't set it off. Seems like there are a lot of other formulations better suited to the application.
Another apparent inaccuracy from the same article that makes me wonder:
"By carrying its own oxygen supply, like a rocket, a fusee burns very bright and very hot. If you see a railroader holding a fusee in his hand, he has either got good gloves or a fresh fusee that hasn't warmed up yet. "
Yes, they burn very hot, but only right at the end where it is burning and the heat doesn't transfer down the length very well. It would have to be near the end for it to get so hot you couldn't hold it. A bigger problem is that little flaming bits can spew off and land on your hand while holding it, unless you avoid holding it upright. That is likely what the gloves were needed for.
>Most high explosives require a detonator. (AKA

On Jan 21, 1:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I have seen railroad men hang on to these things until they were almost burned up.
Jimmie
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:59:59 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I wondered about that too. In fact they did have a small "hand held" fusee that burned 5 minutes along with the 15 and 20 minute ones with the spike in the end. Those came in red and green. The green ones never made it to the civilian market but you can buy the red ones at the auto parts store (AKA highway flares)