Rafters in Unoccupied Attic - To Insulate or not to Insulate?

Watching Home Free on TV. One of the teams was assigned to insulate the attic in a Georgian Revival.

They were stapling batts in the roof rafters. I was brought up to believe that you insulate rafters ONLY if attic was to be occupied at least 90% of the time, and to insulate just the attic deck(above the top floor ceilings).

Have things changed here in good ol 2015?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What if there are heating and cooling ducts up there? Shouldn't the rafters be insulated to protect them, unless they themselves are fully insulated....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Around here, new construction, the attic is still insulated the usual way, regardless of AC, with insulation on the attic floor, unless it's going to be a finished attic. It's obviously not the greatest idea with AC eqpt in the attic. The AC ducts are typically flex ones that have a couple of inches of insulation, but having the air handler and all those ducts in a 120F attic has to be wasting energy.

I wonder if he's on to something. Why not insulate at the rafters and then again on the attic floor? Would seem to be a good idea for houses with AC gear in the attic. I also wonder if you were going to put down X inches of insulation, how putting half at the rafters, half at the attic floor would compare to putting it all on the floor?

Reply to
trader_4

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:22:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

If there is rafter insulation there should also be baffles to allow airflow from the soffit vents to the roof vents, assuming those exist.

I know that since we had our roof redone with full soffit vents cut, a ridg e vent added, and then a DIY baffle installation, my attic is much, much co oler. We don't have rafter insulation, just joist bay insulation, so the ba ffles are just for where the insulation goes down towards the soffits.

We use our crawl space attic for storage and it so much easier to be up the re now that the new ventilation system is in place. I wonder if they also i nsulated the access opening or staircase. I built a box from 1" foil faced foam insulation to go over my pull down stairs.

Reply to
DerbyDad03