I did a home radon test about a month ago. I got the results back...6
pC/l. They say that the EPA recommends it be below 4.
My neighbor's was 16, so his was a no-brainer. I'm wondering you
conservative, if at all, the EPA standards are.
We just don't have the $1500 right now for a mitigation system, and
I'm wondering if I should worry about the test results.
I an a cancer survivor who lost both my parents to cancer. I guess I am
a little more careful that others.
I suggest you can do a lot yourself. Google the issue on line. I
suggest that some tubes of caulk and a caulking gun and maybe some
additional ventilation can be cheap and do a lot to reduce it in most cases.
That seems reasonable, but it probably also depends on how much time he
spends in the basement, and how much air exchange there is between the
basement and the upstairs.
It might also be worth testing again in a few months before panicking.
Never having had radon, I am not that well informed about it; but I "think"
it worst when the water table is high, like it might be in the spring?
A combination of sealing gaps in the foundation and adding a powered vent
which might incur an electrician and a carpenter, I can see it getting up
there if you don't do a thing yourself. Especially if they talk you into an
elaborate vent system with multiple air intakes and ducts and louvered air
replacement vent openings (to the outside) and a hermertic paint on concrete
over- hyped and oversold, i agree completely, before you spend any
money, really reseach radon, read some info from someone that is not
selling something, once you find out how it was discovered that its
harmful and how much exposure you really have to have, i think you will
find the time well spent instead of your money
just my opinion bill
if you spend little time in the basement, test the livuing area, ift
its not high dont worry about it.
radon is heavier than air and tends to pool like water, ot testing is
usually at floor level.
seal everything you can and ventilate basement with something like a
small muffin fan.
I agree. The US EPA is full of Chicken Little's who really believe that
even .00000000001 micrograms of anything is harmful. After all, they're not
the ones paying for remediation.
I had the last house tested two years ago at my expense but under no
conditions would I install a radon mitigation system. The house tested
high, too, about 6 I think. The house sold just the same. My feeling was
if the future owner felt it was a real problem, they can spend the money to
In TODAY'S US government?! NOT!!!! Nowadays, their oversight SUCKS
because shrub just don't care about anything but big business!!
"The US EPA is full of Chicken Little's who really believe that even
.00000000001 micrograms of anything is harmful"
A simple DIY project. Mine was 6.0 and after the 'repair' it came back
Went to the local Radon place and bought the fan and Ferncos for $250
Went to the Borg and bought the cheap 3" DWV PVC and fittings $80
Drilled a hole in the slab and caulked in the PVC. Rand the pipe up
and through the rim joist into the garage. Mounted the fan and cut a
hole in the roof. Used vent pipe flashing to seal it off.
About 3 hours total. The worst part of the entire job was paying the
additional $10 to the radon testing company because I live in NJ. No
other state incurs an additional charge for the DIY kits. Another tax
brought to you by the fabulous NJ legislature.
Could probably get it below 1.5 if I sealed around the slab like the
radon place suggested I do, but I would rather have the drainage in the
basement if I need it.
You did not mention in what part of the house that you performed the radon
As a rule of thumb, you can halve the results for each floor above the test.
In otherwords if you did the test in the basement, then your results are
approximately 3 pCi/L.
Another concern is whether there are children in the house. If so then the
answer to your question is a no-brainer.
Another concern is whether there are children in the house.
If so then the answer to your question is a no-brainer.
Or pets, especially those who are confined to the basement
during the workday and/or at night. They, even more so than
children, are often breathing the air right at the floor level in
the basement. And we know that area is where the radon
concentrates the most.
On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:46:52 GMT,
"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:
No offense, but 1500 seems high. I've been told, since my basement
has no sump pump/basin, it could cost me up to $700 dollars. Which
was still high, because I found that my foundation had a passive radon
mitigation system. Toss on a fan, and a vent stack, and I might get
away with a much cheaper solution.
Oh, back to your case, I've been told that with radon, little
effectors to vent it make remarkable improvements. If you have a sump
pump, you might get a wack at fixing your problems by getting a fan
installed on your sump. Radon, wants to escape into the air, and the
path of least resistance might through your basement rather than
several feet of soil.
Now I'm not radon mitigation expert, but I was given a 2.8 pC/l
results, and prior to getting the readings, I was checking out
EPA says fans work.
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com
Not always true. Opening the windows can cause the reading to increase
due to a drop in pressure. The existing pressure in the house could be
holding back the Radon, relieving the pressure could make it worse.
related question, if you have a interior french drain open to air
downhill from drain area would that qualify as a passive system?
radon heavier than air would hopefully flow downhill and out the pipe
away from house?
Do you smoke ?? If you do then elevated radon will increase chances of
lung cancer by 15 times. You can do a lot yourself to seal the
basement like caulk around pipes and cracks in the floor or walls. If
you have concrete blocks you can fill the tops if they are open.
You can also buy the fan and pvc pipes and ventilate the basement floor
yourself for just a few hundred bucks. If you can't afford $1500 for
the contractor you sure can't afford to let your family get sick.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.