Radon test

Wholly agree. That's the point I was making in my first reply; it needs to be put in context.

You might be interested in:

clot

I think they wanted BOTH to judge if the cheap one is comparable to the expensive one.

Well no. That changed, now second-hand smoke is the most recent SECOND MAJOR CAUSE of lung cancer after cigarette smoking.. because that is where the money is.

Do you know of anyone. The second (or third) cause of lung cancer was born by taking the epidemiological studies from underground miners and extapolating it to homeowners. Last time I looked, admittedly about 6 years ago, there was not yet a study of residential radon and what really happened.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

prevalent, possibly because of a different geology. Here is a Radon Zone map of the US. (I live in the dark red area in the NE)

is an official US site about Radon.
live over a shale ledge which is one of the biggest producers of Radon. My house has a concrete walled basement with a poured concrete floor. All gaps and seams are sealed.

Reply to
willshak

on 10/11/2007 5:13 PM Kurt Ullman said the following:

Cite?

Nope, I don't know. I was only stating that *any* toxic or dangerous material that affects someone in your family becomes "very" major, whether it be lung cancer, radon poisoning, mesothelioma, or anything else.

Reply to
willshak

American Cancer Society and any municipality or state that is trying to ban smoking in public spaces.

And I am saying that as of the last time I looked there were NO studies showing that it was either toxic or dangerous outside of industrial exposures.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:21:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote Re Re: Radon test:

It still could be defeated by opening a window and running a fan across the canister.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:13:10 -0400, Kurt Ullman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote Re Re: Radon test FOLLOWUP:

And for good reason.

The effects can't be observed, but only calculated based on an extrapolation under the assumption that *any* injury (no matter how small or infinitesimal) to the human organism cannot be recovered from. It's called the "linear response no threshold" hypothesis. Without it, you can't even calculate the radon effects to homeowners, much less observe them.

Nevertheless, it's a $$$-maker for a lot of vested interests, so it stays.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

You made a correct assumption! It's interesting how folk adapt; I'm from Wales (N) where granite figures for radon, though I have lived in England for the past 40 years and for 25 of those close to a large granite outcrop. Here in England, folk don't realise that I spoke Welsh as a child and think I'm from "Middle England". Likewise, I guess, when responding on a US centric usegroup I tend to "cross The Pond" to some extent!

I've literally only scanned the first site that you posted. I felt it was objective and I am prepared to believe factually correct, but could be misconstrued,(I have a high regard for the EPA despite some bad press at times in the US, having worked with EPA folk on common interest issues). The Press in the UK do tend to be more dramatic than in the US. If the words: a.. "There are many thousands of individual homes with elevated radon levels in Zone 2 and 3. Elevated levels can be found in Zone 2 and Zone

3 counties." were used in the UK, the tabloid press would be having fun the next day! a.. Sorry about the blobs which I picked up quoting the EPA site, I've had a bad day editting documents today with indents and other formatting problems and I'm not going to sort any more out tonight! a.. a.. Do you have local experience of someone who has suffered? Are you recently being made aware of the issue? I'm curious because over here we are rightly and wrongly being hyped to consider radon when moving house! a.. a.. Regards a.. a.. Clot
Reply to
clot

But if so, there should still be "hot spots" of lung cancer in non-smokers in areas with high radon. There are vays (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

When you get results, keep in mind that government standards are normally set for an unreasonably high safety factor. If results are borderline or even slightly above, I personally would do nothing. Frank

Reply to
Frank

There goes $155 down the drain...... Some company made a killing based on the Radon scam..... Oh well, it's not my money !!!!!!

Reply to
alvinamorey

There were some reviews for the radon tester:

Someone hired radon professonal to do the test, and used that device to compare the results, There were no much difference. It is estimated that the error can be 25% under different temperature/ humidity levels.

I have been using this device in my basement for about 3 years and monitor it. The radon level fluctuate from season to season, even within days if outside temperature/humidity change a lot. I guess some of radon level change is from measuring under different temperature/ humidity.

The device has a long term and shor term (1 week) measurement setting. My long term (over one year, since a long power outage reset the device) is 1.7. I open my basement door/windows daily (It is a walkout basement). But this summer, the short measurement reached 4+ as I kept the doors/windows closed for a month (went overseas for a vacation). I believe a pro can't really measure those. for almost 3 years now.

Reply to
NA