Radon mitigation, electric costs and green living


The Wife and I have a contract on a house where the inspection just showed a radon gas level of 13.1 picocuries/liter. Mind you, that's in a house that has been unoccupied for a few months after a foreclosure, but still, over three times the EPA's limit of acceptable risk tells me mitigation is in order.
Before I go on, let me address the naysayers: go away! I've already done the research and made up my mind and your ranting about a money- grabbing or government conspiracy serves no purpose here. I am convinced of the hazards of radon gas in recent homes because we make 'em so damned air-tight that the gas builds up, unlike my old home built in 1952 which was better about venting this stuff (and cost more to heat and cool as a result).
Anyway. I have two concerns I hope the group can address:
(1) the active sub-slab depressurization requires an in-line fan that runs 24-7-365, which is gonna increase my electric bill by a bit and then some, I'm sure. Does anyone know of effective alternate-energy systems such as a solar-powered fan or some such?
(2) How loud are these fans? If I'm on the back deck and the venting pipe is around the corner of the house, am I going to hear it? What about at night? Will the neighbors hear? (Might want to see if any of the neighbors have systems, too...)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

if the home sits above grade, like street lower, and has a sump interior french drain system dig a drain to the streetr, add a couple vents, and retest.
even if it doesnt fix your radon problem it will elminate the risk of a power failure or pump failure flooding your basement in a storm.
neighbors have the fans i cant hear them
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The fans I've looked at pulled less than 100 watts. Couple of bucks a month? There are probably easier ways to save money.

I've spent time in a house that had a sub slab radon fan. The fan was in the garage attic and couldn't be heard at all. Standing next to the PVC pipe in the basement I could just barely hear air moving. Totally unobtrusive.

Be careful, I read somewhere that radon causes spontaneous decapitation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.