Radon mitigation

The new home I'm buying has slightly elevated radon levels. Can an amateur do this fix. There is a sump pump at the corner of the full basement. Can I use that as the source of pull with a pipe going up the wall and out the side of the house? There are numberous small cracks in the floor too. How do I seal them. Ultimately I will be finishing off the basement for a family room, so I should do all this now, yes?

Thanks

Reply to
46erjoe

Are you willing to bet your family's life on it. Get the seller to pay for it.

Reply to
Bob

It's certainly a DIY project.

There's probably many more suppliers, but that's a place to start. It's usual and customary to weasel some cash from the seller if you still have an inspection contingency. My place had the same problem. The seller just wanted the problem to go away so he offered $850 back at closing, which I accepted. $250 will go towards the parts for the fan/ducts and the other $600 will buy a lot of beer.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light
  1. The Reverend Natural Light "There's probably many more suppliers, but that's a place to start. It's usual and customary to weasel some cash from the seller if you still have an inspection contingency. My place had the same problem. The seller just wanted the problem to go away so he offered 0 back at closing, which I accepted. 0 will go towards the parts for the fan/ducts and the other 0 will buy a lot of beer. "

While I do as much work myself as possible, this is one that I most likely would get a pro to do. When it comes time to sell the house, I'd rather be able to point to a system that was professionally installed and be able to tell them the company that did it. I think many potential buyers may be concerned about whether it was done correctly or not, get cold feet and walk, meaning it may be harder to get the top offer when you try to sell.

Reply to
trader4

The homes in my neighborhood are all 5-6 year old. We are in a high radon area according to EPA map, so it is mandatory to have radon mitigation in all houses. The builder just used a 3" PVC that connect the sump pump to the outside through the rim joist, next to the 2" water pipe. The PVC pipes are not even soldered. No electric devices are used in the pipe. Sump cover and joints on the PVC connections are sealed.

Since the kids are starting to sleep in the basement, I got concerned, and bought a radon monitor (Radon Pro III) a few weeks ago for $100 on the net, and measured the level at 1.5 pci/l, which is OK. Not sure what the level would be without the 3" PVC.

Reply to
NaN

Fantech Radon Mitigation Fan

buffalobill
  1. NaN Jan 26, 5:08 pm "The builder just used a 3" PVC that connect the sump pump to the outside through the rim joist, next to the 2" water pipe. The PVC pipes are not even soldered. "

If you decide to solder them, can we bring over some 6 packs and watch?

Reply to
trader4

Personally I don't like the idea of a fan running 24hrs/day. A waste of electricity and the fan will likely need to be serviced/replaced fairly regularly. I've hear of passive systems.

On 26 Jan 2006 10:38:10 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light" wrotF:

Reply to
46erjoe