Radios: here is the pix...

Page 2 of 3
philo wrote:

Just curious..., what is "the radio group"?
I have two old radios and an old TV. I would have to go back home and check to see what models the radios are. The TV was built in 1948 at RCA in Camden, NJ. I bought it at a yard sale near there from a guy who used to work at RCA in 1948 on the TV assembly line and this TV was one that he helped build on his line.
I also have a hardware store near me that did an interesting thing with an old stand-up small screen TV. They used just the TV box, and inside the box they hid an old portable black and white TV, and they plugged a VCR into the hidden portable TV. They play old black and white Honeymooners TV shows on the VCR through the portable black and white TV that is hidden inside the old TV box. So, when you walk into the hardware store, the old black and white TV looks like it works and it looks like the Honeymooners is on TV. My first reaction was that they had an old small screen upright black and white TV that actually worked, and that the Honeymooers just happened to be on TV at the time. Then, of course, duh, I figured it out -- but it is a cool effect.

rec.antiques.radio+phono
Rick wrote:

Thanks. I just checked it out. Looks interesting, and I read the threads about the free radios that were previously available etc..
On 12/30/2013 10:36 AM, TomR wrote:

rec.antiques.radio+phono
I've been fooling with vacuum tube radios for 50 years now.
It's a nice break from computer repair.
"philo " wrote in message
On 12/30/2013 10:36 AM, TomR wrote:

rec.antiques.radio+phono
I've been fooling with vacuum tube radios for 50 years now.
It's a nice break from computer repair.
When I was still repairing radios in the late 40's. I was working in a retail appliance ? radios store that also did repairs on these things. I always welcomed the tough ones to repair. A console came in dead. One bad and one weak tube. Easy repair. BUT.. when I fired it up it had a "chirp" about every 20 or 30 seconds. Did a major inspection and testing of all parts including opening up the IF's and checking any resistors or capacitors in side them. Still chirped. The boss came into the repair area and said He had been hearing the chirp over a long period of time. Noticed a flashing sign in the store window flashed every time it chirped. There was a small disc that was under the light bulb base that would cause the light to flash. Shut it off , problem solved. WW
On 12/30/2013 06:44 PM, WW wrote:

good one.
I always like the difficult cases~
On 12/30/2013 12:12 PM, philo wrote:

I'm sure you remember the old Zenith TV ads that ran bragging about their hand crafted sets. ^_^
TDD

yep...
years ago, the company I worked for manufactured control circuits and we'd retrofit a lot of industrial equipment.
After we tested it out, we'd slap our company's sticker on it and jokingly quote Zenith:
The quality goes in before the name goes one.
As a matter of fact, Zenith in Chicago was one of our customers.
philo  wrote:

That RCA is nice. I wouldn't mind that for a furniture piece, working or not.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
G. Morgan wrote :

I've got one of these:
http://wd4eui.com/Pictures/Antique_Radios/AK42_external.jpg
That's not my photo, but it is the same model radio.
On 12/30/2013 08:18 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Nice radio
I have an Atwater Kent also mine is a 20C
I need to get an audio transformer for it
I have an RCA speaker that will have to do
philo  wrote on 12/30/2013 :

Like this? Pretty radio.

The speaker works, the receiver used to work, but not very well. My dad then took the tubes out to test them on his tube tester and get replacements for bad ones - and misplaced them all. It wouldn't have worked anyway as the other components, especially the caps, were too old and dry.
On 12/31/2013 06:35 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

They required a ground a a very long and high antenna...with new filter capacitors it would probably have been ok
Yours is an AC model mine is DC and runs off of batteries
On 12/30/2013 07:51 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

I'm sure your local antique shop has stuff like that for under $50
for me , I have some winter projects

Over 40 years ago, my friend had trouble with the r100 dial tracking. They sent it back for refund. I had a r55 myself. I did. Lot of cw on that radio.
Greg
On 12/30/2013 08:32 PM, gregz wrote:

I vaguely recall those.
My first s/w rcvr was a Knight Kit "Ocean Hopper"
Plug in coils and regenerative. It was nothing to brag about. I later got an HQ-110-C and later a Drake 2A
Until I got that R-100 all I had left was my HQ-140-X
For a transmitter all I have is an old CB set I converted to ten meter CW

Span master, r55, national nc-270 , Heath hw100 for my early days.
Greg
On 12/31/2013 09:47 PM, gregz wrote:

Those days were sure a lot of fun. I worked the world on my 50 watt Johnson Adventurer
philo wrote:

Hi, You all telling us how old you are..... Ever built a real thing like KW xmtr with AM modulator? I used lot of military surplus. best I liked was BC-610 TX, R390, R392 RXs Also BC779 Super Pro. Up until recently I had HQ170, HQ180 RXs collector quality with matching speaker cab. I sold them to a collector. I still have complete set of Collins S-line meat ball emblem series C model. That is only tube gear radio. All other tube gear is guitar amps full of basement. Fender, Marshall, Guytron, Mesa Boogie, etc. plus couple home brew Marshall, Fender clones. One converted mono block audio amp(2x6CA7 P-P output) cloning Marshall JMP fooled every one on blind test. They couldn't tell the difference between original and clone. I still have Heathkit GDO, a tube tester, hombrew noise bridge I use frequently. I am still active on the air with all mode QRP plus my favorite 5W rig(this is all digital with DSP and brick filters w/built-in iambic keyer. My call is VE6CGX. I seldom use ICOM IC-765 heavily mod'd TRCVR, Yaesu FT-736R fully loaded all band all mode TRCVR. it can even do 1GHz microwave QSO. SWL rig is JRC NRD-535D, also I use mod'd CB radio for 10M FM repeater work on DX. This unit is good to check on 10M band condx.
On 12/31/2013 11:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I lent out my GDM to someone years ago and doubt I will see that again.
All the Ham Gear I had back in the old days is gone. I never did get any of those military surplus radios and I wish I had. One of my friends picked up a couple a radar units and converted them to 1296 mhz ...that was in 1965 or so and that was considered quite advanced in those days
I did homebrew a few things...such as a six meter transmitter plus I built a modulator for my transmitter. It was an odd setup...being a /cathode/ rather than a plate modulator. Since it went between cathode and ground it reduced the transmitters power, but it worked well.
Even though I got rid of several truck loads of ancient test equipment I still have some smaller items left...such as a six amp rectifier tube (next to an 85 amp silicon diode)
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/537411_561538863873487_1091950973_n.jpg