Radiator valves? ? ?

Page 2 of 2

Ray understand what I am saying, you really dont. There is a simple, cheap way to balance your building and save alot on your utilities. You stated, you have differences in apt temperatures, you stated that your impression was that vented Steam radiators are either on or off. This is so far from the truth, the air vents on the radiators can be changed to allow at least a 7 degree change in the heat an apt recieves, cold apts can be given more heat and hot ones less. Also old bad vents can leak, not completely close, allowing your boiler to loose alot of water, adding cold water as it does can seriously lower boiler efficency and help crud up the boiler by needing alot of cold makup water. My "assumptions" are bases upon your statement your building has uneven heat and are correct. If you are worried about paint ruining the valve use paint remover to soften it before you open it. Your building was designed to have all radiators open and most likely had even heat for years. There are many brands of vents, some chinese ones are junk. Gorton has a range of vent options ratings, I use all of theirs, 4.5.6.C, D. Ds go in a cold apt radiator, 4s go in a hot apt, 5 would be an average. By using their vents I cut a buildings Ng consumption 25-30% by not having to crank the temp to heat a cold apt. You can, once you understand the procedure get the whole building to within 1-3 degrees, and if you want to give extra heat to the elderly you can dial that in too. All the 20 other people were polite, but nobody addressed the real issue, your uneven heating. And it is air venting, and not with a thermostatic valves. I guess after 3 attempts of trying to explain the basics to you it gets agravating. Your 85 year old radiators are not the issue, venting is. To balance it right is time consuming, its something a building owner should do unless he wants to pay a tech thousands, it takes many visits to each apt at the same time to write down the temp and vent changed and to what type, then a follow up a day later to see the results, and then do it again and again until its even. Id suggest a Raytech or similar IR thermometer to make accurate and easy temp mesurements.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:44:20 -0800 (PST), ransley

Ransley, I'll give you some credit. Most of what you said has validity, HOWEVER.................have you ever actually seen an "OLD" steam radiator valve? Sure it will have gobs and gobs of paint on it but their is no paint thinner in the world that is going to free it because the paint is not the problem. When you have time, take a 40 or 80 yr old steam valve off of a radiator. RUST is the issue. Most of them look like someone welded it in place. Usually the stem just snaps off and then you replace the valve. Other than that, you got most of it right and yes I would charge in the neighborhood of thousands to balance an entire complex of apts. Bubba

Yo Bubba I just replaced today a rad in a kitchen today in my building that had a gas fridge in it before 1980. So the kitchen was always cool since it was balanced for that gas frige. This guy thinks only 120,000.00 in new radiators are the fix , Yea he is a fucktard to fall for that scam. Its to bad he is so dumb its because its only a $2 - $5,000.00 fix that will give him a $8000.00 return in only the first year, Yea he is a moron, because he is thinking of 120,000.00 in new radiators... The problem is the building is being managed by idiots...... who dont know what the fuck they are doing except collecting rents and thats RAY, gee im so "vulgar" being truthfull..............

Right Bubba, My valves were put in in 1945, and I still crank on them pipes . The Problem is RAY dont know didly and could have a hack cost him 120,000,00 and get nothing...
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:07:40 -0800 (PST), ransley

Rans, Im not saying your valves dont operate but Im saying that being in the business I see them all winter long. I bet less than 1% of them will actually turn. ........but I'll take that $120,000 the OP wants to give up. :-) Bubba

It shouldnt be more than an hour to replace a bad valve. [ isnt there a nut that can be loosened to free it up] Maybe the thermostat type air vents do work. I have not liked them because of cost and I believe any tennant can adjust the heat up. I dont like adjustable Dole for that reason also, I had a lady last week saying she was cold, it was 75 in the apt and I laughed, so she got an electric heater and keeps it near 80. Last year I had a tennant removing his vent for humidity, my experiance is tennants like it 73-76 even though the law here is 68, but I feel 70 is good. Gorton are good because the landlord controls the heat, its alot of work getting it done, it can take a week, but then it lasts for years, the vents are about 18$
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:27:33 -0800 (PST), ransley

You're asking me? I thought you knew all that. The problem isnt the nut so much although Ive distorted and split those messing with them. The problem is the stem down in the valve that is attached to the handle. Being in a steam environment tends to rust it in place to the walls of the valve, sometimes better than a welder could weld it.

Adjustables are less than $20 at the radiator.

Seen all that many times over. Ive seen tennants run out in the hall to the stat hidden by a lock box stat cover and they stack ice cube trays on them.

Havent heard or seen Gorton around here. Dont have any temperature laws that I know of either. Bubba