Radiator question

I have a steam heating system with the old cast iron radiators. My question is when the radiators heat up and cool down there is a loud "banging" noise. Is this normal due to the expanding and contracting of the iron radiators? Is something loose? Thanks for the info.

Radiators should be angled ever so slightly so that they drain back into the supply pipe. If they're not, they'll bang from the steam meeting the condensed water in the radiator. Try shimming up the end opposite of the supply pipe and see if that solves your problem.

That will work on a one pipe system.

One pipe or 2 pipe?
If it's 2 pipe, you may have bad steam traps. Are you sure it's the radiators and not the piping?
Only one pipe. and yes it`s the one radiator in the house that bangs, all others are fine.

Sounds like the other gent was right.
Make sure the rad is leaning towards the valve. You also may want to make sure the air vent works correctly. It lets air out until the steam causes the thermostatic valve inside to close and allows air back in as the rad cools.
HTH.

loud
of