Radiator antifreeze and mold

Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm this? I can't find anything about it on the web.
Mike D.
never heard that. bleach is used alot.

I also don't know anything about this, but indoors I like http://www.concrobium.com/US/home.html and outdoors http://www.oxibrands.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id .
Mike Dobony wrote:

I think that someone is full of baloney. Ethylene glycol is water soluble (obviously) which pretty much prevents it being of great value as a wood preservative, it isn't particularly toxic other than by ingestion so suspect its use as a fungicide would be of minimal effectiveness as well (although that's an opinion not the result of any known research). Add to the questionable effectiveness as compared to products designed for the purpose the sticky residue it leaves and the ingestion hazard to pets, etc., can't see why anyone would go that route over solution-specific products. It isn't all that cheap anymore, either...
I suspect the primary reason you can't find it on the web is because it ain't so...

Glycol mixed with borax is better. http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Gadgets/D97WoodRot.htm
Bob
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:19:09 -0500, Mike Dobony wrote:

Doesn't seem too healthy of a tip.