Radiant heat better than baseboard?

Page 2 of 2
Greetings,
a) I would prefer radiant heat because it keeps your feet warm and doesn't look ugly. b) Your contractor is probably wrong about it being "more efficient" if it is gas. c) ... unless he means "more efficient" but it will cost you 2-4 times as much because it is electric.
Hope this helps, William
PS: Don't let your contractor scam you with false promises of efficiency. As him for TCO (total cost of ownership) numbers. I bet you baseboard is cheaper per BTU.

Well, thank you all for your insights. My home is oil/baseboard hot water heating and my kitchen is very small, so the contractor believes removing the large radiator will save us space for cabinets, seating, etc. There are basically two options available to me: 1. Baseboard toe-kick heating, whereby a small fan moves the heated air from behind the cabinets to small vents located at the front (at your toes). Sounds like a lot of wasted energy heating the bottom of my cabinets. 2. Radiant heat under the tile within the new mud floor job. They would install a new heating zone just for the kitchen and place the thermostat in a good location. He claims that the radiant heat is a better option because it's more efficient in this application, and more comfortable, and since either way the zone would have to be drained and the pipe cut, I might as well just do it. He claims the plastic piping is fine for the temperature the oil burner will dish out. He also says he wouldn't place piping under the fridge or cabinets because that's a waste, but there would be more near the door. I don't know about cost-efficiency... the house is very tight and new. I'm not sure about the thermostat location either, or how low I will be able to let it go while maintaining a reasonable recovery time. Does anyone have any thoughts about what this guy has told me? Is he nuts about the temperature or comfort level? Thanks again...
William Deans wrote:

Sounds like a good setup. PEX Tubing is good for the application in the radiant heat as it can take 180 degrees. http://www.ppfahome.org/pressure.html
In my house the coldest part of the floor is near the door so having a bit more heat there is probably a very good idea. In my house, the baseboard heating does very little and the vents are closed. Heating the room is not a consideration, but with a ceramic floor, it would be very nice to have it warmed a bit. It only have to reach 100 degrees to feel comfy with bare feet.
What is your boiler set to 170- 180? 190? go look at it. You do not want to be able to cook food on your floor plus you will ruin your floor. Get a real hvac pro out who will calculate and know what is right, not guess. Sounds like your contractor is a will doitall hack.