radiant floor heat ques

I would like to install radiant tubing w/ transfer plates under the floor. The floor joists are 24" OC. Transfer plates are 4" x 48". I'm using 1/2" PEX.

I was told by suppler to space the tubing 8" which would give me 3 runs of tubing per bay. Any harm in reducing the spacing so I could have 4 runs? This would essentially be 2 loops which would be easier to install.

Transfer plates would not touch. It would seem I would be putting more heat into each bay. It's perhaps overkill. My concern is whether it will work or affect heating capabilities.

I intend to insulate each bay leaving at least a 2" air gap beneath tubes.

Thank you.

Reply to
Franz Fripplfrappl

One of the main reasons why heating systems give poor results is people oversize stuff. If the supplier did an actual calculation for your project I would stick by their design. If it is a wild guess then all bets are off.

Reply to
George

George is correct. More heat is not better heat. Do it right, not too much and not too little.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe