Radial Arm Saw Motor

Page 2 of 2

I have a similar saw that is even older, but is made the same way. I am sure you checked but just in case: Have you checked for the thermal overload switch being popped? It must be reset manually.
Charlie

See if you can find a electric motor shop in your area. I had a motor repaired, it was also was a special purpose one. They rewound it with better wire and it performed much better then original.
Frank Rowe wrote:

You might want to post this question in rec.woodworking
Its a good group.
Many thianks for the useful suggestions; here's a follow-up from the "OP"
- For Salty@dog,com: Sorry to say, but dbp and George are correct - the mounting posts are integral to the motor housing. This is an exception to your "motors are mostly universal" statement. Oh, BTW _ it's hard to replace "brushes" in an induction motor....
- For DadiOH - yes I figured ou that Emerson is the OEM - but requesting parts from Emerson is equivalent to calling GM headquartes for brake shoes for you Chevy - they want you to talk to their local dealer. Also - Sears' parts line told me Emerson no longer makes that motor (or parts for it) - I've got to believe them on this - it was a custom job for Sears in the first place.
- For <RJ> - I've had the motor completely apart three times now - removed all the sawdust, etc. Never saw anything that answered to the description of "start centrifugal switch". FWIW this saw has had steady use for 22 years, and it's just now quit in this fashion. Just before it quit entirely I was seeing sparks from inside the motor housing. Now when I turn the power on, it hums for a few seconds then blows the (20-amp) breaker.
For Bob F - I've looked on Cragslist and my local want ads - no soap at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on that channel.
For Charlie Bress- it's not the thermal overload, as it tries to start (hums & blows breaker)
As for the new saw angle - The low end new saw from Sears is $650 (on "sale" at the moment for $600) - so if I can get the motor rebuilt for <$200, I'm $400 ahead. The good saws from Delta & Rockwell just aren't in my price range at the moment - and this "cheap" one has built most of my house, cabinetry, several outbuildings, and two rooms' worth of furniture - so it's working OK for me. But that's my fallback option.
SO - (thanks to Ralph, S. Barker, et al) I've taken the motor to a local electric motor shop, who've promised to look at it & tell me if it can be rebuilt. At this point I'm waiting for a phone call. Meantime (thanks, Jim) I will also repost to rec.woodworking.
Again, thanks to all!
P.S. - I also enjoyed reading the flame war beetween salty and nbp - it's fun to see two people duke itour over a subject when neither of then has first-hand knowledge <:-)
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:20:29 -0800, jJim McLaughlin