Radial Arm Saw Motor

I have a similar saw that is even older, but is made the same way. I am sure you checked but just in case: Have you checked for the thermal overload switch being popped? It must be reset manually.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

See if you can find a electric motor shop in your area. I had a motor repaired, it was also was a special purpose one. They rewound it with better wire and it performed much better then original.

Reply to
Bumpy

You might want to post this question in rec.woodworking

Its a good group.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Many thianks for the useful suggestions; here's a follow-up from the "OP"

- For Salty@dog,com: Sorry to say, but dbp and George are correct - the mounting posts are integral to the motor housing. This is an exception to your "motors are mostly universal" statement. Oh, BTW _ it's hard to replace "brushes" in an induction motor....

- For DadiOH - yes I figured ou that Emerson is the OEM - but requesting parts from Emerson is equivalent to calling GM headquartes for brake shoes for you Chevy - they want you to talk to their local dealer. Also - Sears' parts line told me Emerson no longer makes that motor (or parts for it) - I've got to believe them on this - it was a custom job for Sears in the first place.

- For - I've had the motor completely apart three times now - removed all the sawdust, etc. Never saw anything that answered to the description of "start centrifugal switch". FWIW this saw has had steady use for 22 years, and it's just now quit in this fashion. Just before it quit entirely I was seeing sparks from inside the motor housing. Now when I turn the power on, it hums for a few seconds then blows the (20-amp) breaker.

For Bob F - I've looked on Cragslist and my local want ads - no soap at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on that channel.

For Charlie Bress- it's not the thermal overload, as it tries to start (hums & blows breaker)

As for the new saw angle - The low end new saw from Sears is $650 (on "sale" at the moment for $600) - so if I can get the motor rebuilt for

Reply to
Frank Rowe