Radial Arm Saw Motor

Page 1 of 2
Help!
I have a 20+ year old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw (model 113.199450), on which the motor just burned out. Sears (noth the website and the phone help people) says they can no longer get that motor because it's not made anymore. The motor part # was 63608. Neither can I get parts for it. At this point, the answer I get from Sears is to just pop on over to my local Sears store & buy a new saw. However, that's about $600 more than I was hoping to spend.
Are there any other sources in the world for replacement motors? I've googled the model & part numbers ti no avail. I was hoping someone here knew of another electric motor source.
THanks!

Have you tried taking the motor to a local small shop that rewinds motors ?
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:15:57 -0500, Frank Rowe

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/index.html
These folks are great to deal with, and hey know their products! I'll bet if you call them with every number off the motor itself, and the basic dimensions, (Length, diameter, shaft diameter, horsepower, etc.), they can fix you up with a motor. Motors are mostly universal and generic. If there is anything special, it would be a mounting bracket that can be swapped out from the original;. That doesn't happen very often.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well, it happened in this case -- this for a RAS which use integral motors, not external mounts. The advice for a rewind shop is best bet.
Otherwise, somebody suggested Emerson as a last resort, but usually built-for-brand parts are available only through the distributor of the branded item, not the OEM so that's unlikely to be successful (but, of course, no worse off than already and worth a shot).
The other alternative if it isn't a critical production item would be to start the search for used similar machines either as a replacement parts supply machine or to simply swap to a newer/different saw at less than new price. RAS saws typically don't sell for very high prices so good deals can be had if one has the time to be at least somewhat patient.

??? The place I mentioned can supply a replacement motor, as can any electrical suppy house I've ever encountered. The motor was not custom designed for that radial arm saw. A standard motor was specified by whomever designed the saw. All you need is any numbers found on the motor, and some dimensional information. This is not rocket science.
Then again, maybe the OP doesn't know the difference between "burned out" and "just needs a new set of brushes installed".
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The motor housing is the casting the saw arbor is mounted on the saw yoke, not a standard motor plate. They won't have the guts of the motor independent of the case.

Did you call to give them the information I mentioned, and actually ask them, or you just making a WAG?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'm going on experience w/ RAS and similar specialty motors.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

But how could you know that? I had a similar vintage same name radial arm saw and the motor was anything but a standard form. The head is basically built around the motor.

...Using generic components. If this is a really old cast iron saw, it may be a re-labeled DeWalt. Really, you are making this far more complicated than it is.

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And you're making it far less...
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You still didn't answer how you absolutely know with such extreme confidence that it was a standard part. It isn't at all unusual for OEMs to specify special designs to cut cost.
As I mentioned I had one of those saws (maybe even the same model #). It was more of a nostalgia thing to get a replacement motor than value because those saws were not well made because anything could kick them out of adjustment.
I disassembled the motor housing and took careful measurements and photos. It was a specially made unit and we couldn't find it or even anything close that could be modified.

I was easily able to obtain the guts to replace the motor on my late 1950's era cast iron DeWalt. You just need to know who to ask.

See above.

Another common issue on the old ones was that they would get packed with sawdust to the point where they wouldn't run, or would overheat. We still don't know what is wrong with the OP's motor. He didn't give much information.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

OK, but what does that have to do with the 80's era sears radial arm saw under discussion?
I am actually quite aware who to ask and as I explained I had a similar saw and a replacement motor didn't exist.

It was probably made by DeWalt, and motor assemblies are available. (if you know who to ask) If I could get one for a 53 year old saw, you can get one for an 80's era saw.

If you knew who to ask, you would have gotten a motor.
If you're in or near a fairly large city, you should be able to find an electric motor shop. Ask around some of the older hardware stores or check the yellow pages. I know there are several here in the KC area. You could always ship it to them if necessary.
steve

I live in the county seat of ~10,000 and we have 2. So they aren't rare.

Frank Rowe wrote:

Try Emerson Electric - they made it. http://www.gotoemerson.com/brands/pro_tools/br_pt_dp.html
--

dadiOH

Do you know FOR SURE that the motor's burned out ? Hard to do unless you've been sawing granite.
A common prob with Craftsman R.A. saw motors; Sawdust packs into the start centrifugal switch. Motor hmmmms when you turn it on, but won't run.
Pull the end cap, brush out all the packed sawdust. Motor should be good for another 100 hours of run time.
<rj>

Used radial arm saws are frequently given away, and more often sold cheaply on craigslist and similar places. Maybe it would be cheaper/easier to replace the whole saw.