Racoons under the porch

Page 2 of 2

TD wrote:

Oh, well. That's not really a problem.
They have shots for that.

Are you volunteering to be bitten by the critters?
TD wrote:

Uh, no. But thanks for asking.

I had a raccoon come in the house once. I chased it around with a broom. It peed as it ran away, and never even bared teeth at me (I avoided cornering it). Eventually it overcame its panic and remembered the way out. My old (deaf and blind in one eye) dog never even saw it, but found the pee fascinating.
What really put them out of my life, though, was fanatically locking up all my food and garbage with metal cans in a big trashcan box, and child locks on anything they could get their hands on.
On 8/4/2008 5:47 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Not sure, but having had skunks living under my house at one time, I'm going to guess: the stink?

Mark your territory the way animals do - pee around/under the deck. Use a jar if you are shy. I am serious, I have known people for whom this worked -- try it for a few days, the cost is zero. -- H
I had a family of opossums move into a space under a staircase in my garage. We used to keep the door partly open for a cat.
I went out there one night and started screaming at them.
The family moved out that night. Didn't like the neighbors, apparently.

Art wrote:

Could be, but opossums are the gypsies of the animal world. They hang around one spot for a couple of days, then move on to their next stop. I have a opossum that visits me (I recognize it). He stops by about once every eight weeks or so, chows down on the outside cat's never-empty food bowl, then moves on. He's (or maybe she's) been doing this circuit for almost two years.
Every once in a while, one of the cats gets pissed and chases him/her up a tree, but, in large measure, the two species tolerate each other.
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:56:40 -0400, "Art"

When I get a stain in a shirt, I "Shout-it-Out'!
Measure its maximum height, add about 12", go to a big box like Home Depot, and get a sufficient amount of "hardware cloth". This is a steel mesh that you can staple to the porch portions, is able to be have the bottom part put into a trenched area at the base, then put the dirt back and consider lining it with stones. Or else consider simply filling the little trench with concrete. But also consider correcting the conditions that encouraged the animals to be there in the first place. Clean it out well, and then spread a fair amount of cheap men's aftershave around with an aerosol sprayer to discourage the squirrels.

i use havaheart boxtrap to catch and relocate them. mothballs irritates them.