Racoons under the porch

Page 1 of 2

Do you folks have any advice for my sister?
I need some help trying one last thing about keeping the animals out from under my deck. The best choice is to have it ripped up and replaced with a concrete patio. However, I think that will cost me at least $10K. I'm going to get an estimate but want to try one more thing before I do that. Right now I have at least two ground squirrels and a raccoon living there who come out periodically in the day/evenings.
Do you have any ideas? A good idea is to dig a trench deep enough all around it and put in short fencing so the animals can't dig underneath. However, that's too hard for me, and I can't buy the fencing small enough (it's in huge rolls at Lowe's/Home Depot). What has worked is rocks--but wherever I put them to block their entrance they just avoid that area and dig another hole to get in and out. I don't think I can find enough rocks to totally surround the deck.
I have hired a high-school kid to help me in a few weeks. He will do the physical labor based on my idea. So, I have a few weeks to decide what to try this time. Any ideas?
Thanx in advance Jason

Well, if you make under the deck inaccessable, you just may find them sitting in the chairs on the deck!

Whenever you think they are in there, get a weapon of your choice and climb in after them. They will tire of this challenge very quickly.

This is what assault weapons were made for! ;)
Have you called your county animal control yet? They set traps for these suckers.
Dick

Get a dachshund and let him loose under the porch.

Yea, they're kinda expendable I suppose.

With racoons the only workable way is to trap them and terminate them.

For years, I had a cycle of raccoon families, followed by skunk families, then the raccoons again, etc. in a crawlspace under part of a home.
Every 6 months, I scatter a couple boxes of moth balls down there, and I haven't had any critters for many years.

What about trap and relocate?

Illegal in many places, and not terribly effective. If you have a "habitat" that is attractive to these critters, there is always a supply of them waiting in the wings to move in as soon as you create a vacancy.
On Aug 5, 6:05am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Thanks one and all for the answers. Lethal is illegal where she lives and live traps just relocate members of an apparently inexhaustable supply of racoons who ". . .move in as soon as (she) create(s) a vacancy. . ."
-J
When we were having problems with moles in the country, we had all the guys pee in the holes. Within a week, they were all gone. But I've suggested in another post an alternative to using urine as the scent source.

Berkeley, CA won't allow this OR guns.

blow gun bow and arrow cross bow wrist rocket old fashioned lawn jarts thumper car
there's always alternatives
charlie wrote:

Including a borrowed pit bull.

I trap and relocate all the time. I guess the Berkeley folks will secretly use anti-freeze.
So, don't tell anyone. I'm tempted to ask some of the other laws in Berkley. But as a political conservative, I'm sure I'd be offended.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's one that'll cause you to drop your donut: Berkeley has a tool lending library.
That's right. You can "check out" ladders, post-hole diggers, scaffolding, cement mixers, etc. Everything from hammers to (I guess) forklifts.
This works out swell for the week-end warrior, but I don't think there are any tool rental stores in the town.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Why are raccoons under the porch a problem? Loud, raucous parties? Would you rather have armadillos under the porch? In other words, what problem are you trying to solve? Whatever the problem, moving the 'coons may not be the solution.

Rabies.