Raccoons in my chimney!

Page 2 of 2
If you try the mothball trick or amonia or some other noxious fumes you may want to make a vapor barrier to your home so the fumes dont enter the living area. Also you want to stop fleas and ticks from entering as well. Im afraid your damper might not be up to that task. You may want to put in a Chimney Balloon down low in the chimney by the flue. I bought mine at www.chimneyballoon.us and it worked well to keep draft out. I bet it would hold back the fumes and fleas as well.
If the coon decends and demands entry though, that balloon aint gonna stop him and neither will your damper. German Jerry

I don't know how much this costs, but I wonder if you couldn't just use a car or truck inner tube. When I was going tubing 10 years ago, I bought some used at truck tire stores for 5 or 8 or 10 dollars, I forget. Buy one of those and when you're done you can use it for tubing. (floating down a stream or river.)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) I have 3 raccoons in my chimney., It is a 3 sided brick chimney with :) cellotex on the house side. The trapper I contacted usually smokes them :) out..but he won't use fire with the cellotex. it is all chewed up and :) they are nesting in it. :) I have 3 rectangular clay pipes at the top of the chimney. one has a :) cap...this is apparently the flue from the furnace and hot water :) heater. the other 2 go down about 6 feet and stop, leaving a wide open :) space. I need to cap the 2 clay pipes, but must be sure the 'coons are :) out before I do it. Wildlife people say a momma coon will tear a roof :) apart if she has babies in there. I have listened with a stethoscope :) and dont hear any baby noises. :) Any ideas on how to encourage them to leave and stay out while I get :) the caps put on? :) Humane society suggests loud rap music and a strobe light lowered down :) on a long extension...I cant afford a strobe. :) I need to repair a few loose brick while I am up there. I have the :) caulk recommended by the home store. Any tips? I know I will need to :) clean the area..is sweeping good enough or is an acid cleaning with :) muriatic needed? :) The concrete cap that is set at an angle that surrounds the chimney is :) spalled badly, and I will need to replace it. Is the premixed :) ceramic-plastic mix a good thing to use there? :) Thanks for any and all help. Anybody got any good recepies for racoon :) (LOL) :) MD :) :) They will be leaving the chimney to feed...find where they travel and place a raccoon trap baitd with sardines. I would not just take it for a ride and let it go, you can spread canine distemper to healthy animals in the wild if yours is effected. You probably can find an animal rescue place to take them in for observation before release
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,