Raccoon

Page 1 of 4
Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages. Comes in through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water dish. We blocked up cat door; cat has to use window giving on dark yard; have it open minimum, but anxious-making.
Found raccoon in kitchen at night. BIG! Rushed out OPEN back door, brushing past my legs; no injury fortunately. So can't leave computer room door open for air at night.
OP has volunteered to kill it w/blow to head, but he doesn't realize how big and fierce they are. Also, first have to catch it!!
Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected" !!!? I asked Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him, or lend me a cage. They said haven't done this for years. Gave me info about "protected" status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!
Not ept enough to construct own cage, though have plans/descriptions. Cost of materials - have to be VERY strong. Ever see the CLAWS on those critters!
Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem. Other?
*******SPRAY SOMETHING ON STEPS THAT THEY ARE SAID TO AVOID. Anybody know a product?******
OK, end sob story. Excuse venting.
HB
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:59:43 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:57:57 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

[....]

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature conf ined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. Thi s one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping h im in when he was little, but it never worked.
No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon !
HB
On 8/13/2014 5:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

We have four cats, none of them even want to go outside. Trust me, if you ever see a cat hit by a car, you might change your mind.
--
Froz...

True. Also, I know from experience with feral cats in my neighborhood, raccoons can and will kill cats and eat them. If you let your cat out, it may never come back. I have a 13 year old cat that lived feral for 1 1/2 years before we adopted it. It refuses to go out, if you open the door when it is near, it will move away from the door to avoid the open. It knows where it wants to be, queen of the household and all it can see through the window.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:00:14 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

nfined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. T his one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

on!

Our house cat is basically an indoor creature. She'll occasionally sneak ou tside if we're not watching the door, but she'll go out about 15-20 feet, s it there for 5-10 minutes, then run back inside when she has a chance.
Vis-à-vis raccoons, I shoot the bastards on sight, although I rarely get a chance to see them.
Paul
On 8/13/14, 12:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

BTDT. Tried various scare tactics (motion sensor lite, pan of ammonia, etc) Nothing worked. Finally got a trap. Bye bye raccoon.
Traps are cheap. $25 at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch-l-x-12-inch-w-x-13-inch-h-collapsible-large-animal-trap-90218.html
Peanut butter is a good bait.
FWIW, in Colorado it was legal to release them only in the plains east of I-25, not in the mountains.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:38:07 PM UTC-7, Retired wrote:

[...]

e-large-animal-trap-90218.html
Thanks. Someone from another NG mentioned them & I went there, but with s& H it comes to over $40.0. Have checked many other sources. If I have to b uy large trap, I guess I will, but...
THERE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SOMETHING THEY CAN'T STAND THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SPRAYING BEFORE SPENDING ALL THAT $$.
I found these on-line. If you used, pls post whether it worked or not. Tha nks!
Spicy Deterrent Many reviews will tell you that there is no such thing as a real raccoon re pellent. If you've tried it all from sounds to other tactics, then you migh t as well try this one too. All you need is some really spicy sauce (tabasc o or chilly), a gallon of water, and some regular detergent soap. Mix all t he ingredients to prepare a spray. Put it in a spray can and spray it all a round your garden. They cannot stand the smell, so they won't even get past the plants.
Hot Pepper Repellent Here is another natural repellent that you can try out. Get yourself a chop ped Jalapeño pepper, a chopped onion (yellow), and a tbsp. of cayenne pep per. Add these three to 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once it coo ls down, strain the liquid to remove the chunks of the peppers. Fill it in a spray can and spray away.
Granular Repellent There are quite a few granular raccoon repellents available at pest-control outlets, which just have to be dusted around the area. They are made of su bstances like ammonia or predator urine. Raccoons sense the presence of the ir predators through the scent of the urine. And so, when they smell the gr anules, they mistake it for the predator and steer clear of that area.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/raccoon-repellent.html
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

They would probably deter your cat also.
On 8/13/2014 5:15 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

About twenty years ago, a friend of my Dad's got tired of the squirrel in his bird feeder, so he shot the squirrel. (Military vet, out in the country, good backstop, nice and safe). Next day he shot the next squirrel. And he gave up after 300 squirrels.
Whatever you do to shoot, trap, scare, spray, or motivate the raccoon. Please plan to do it every day, forever.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:13:26 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

TRY SPRAYING BEFORE SPENDING ALL THAT $$.

Thanks!

n repellent. If you've tried it all from sounds to other tactics, then you might as well try this one too. All you need is some really spicy sauce (ta basco or chilly), a gallon of water, and some regular detergent soap. Mix a ll the ingredients to prepare a spray. Put it in a spray can and spray it a ll around your garden. They cannot stand the smell, so they won't even get past the plants.

chopped Jalape�o pepper, a chopped onion (yellow), and a tbsp. of c ayenne pepper. Add these three to 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil. O nce it cools down, strain the liquid to remove the chunks of the peppers. F ill it in a spray can and spray away.

trol outlets, which just have to be dusted around the area. They are made o f substances like ammonia or predator urine. Raccoons sense the presence of their predators through the scent of the urine. And so, when they smell th e granules, they mistake it for the predator and steer clear of that area.

tml

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought. We tra pped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the shotgun; didn't see ano ther squirrel for two years.
Paul
On 8/13/2014 10:02 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

an extended drought. We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

I'll have to remember that, in case I have a squirrel plague. Thanks.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/13/2014 6:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Exactly. Because nature abhors a vacuum. You remove one wild animal, you've created an opportunity for another one to move in.
On 8/13/2014 3:38 PM, Retired wrote:

Legal to release them a couple feet under water?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I had one snatch our cats out the window. Likely killed one of them but we'll never be sure. I hired a trapper. But unlike Billy The Exterminator, here, they kill them. Trapper said it was the most viscous animal he'd ever seen. I would never have a cat door here.
On 08/13/2014 11:59 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

In my area we cannot kill them
but live trapping and relocating is OK
Take it at least 15 miles
On 8/13/2014 9:20 PM, philo wrote:

I'm remembering the story of the city on the west side of the river, that had a major raccoon problem. So they hired a firm to take care of it. They trapped several thousand racoons, and moved them to the east side of the river.
The next year, the city on the east side of the river called the same trapping firm. They had a major raccoon problem.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Julie Bove wrote:

We have a doggie door , and we live out in the woods ... We had a problem with 'coons eating the bird food , they climbed up that angle iron post like it was a highway . Had <might still have it> video of the post shaking around because there was a 'coon on top , the dog is wandering around sniffing the ground , completely oblivious to the raccoon just 4 feet above her . I suspect a younger dog might have tripped to the situation Goldie is pretty old for her breed .
--
Snag