I am plagued by hordes of rabbits. They eat everything in sight, especially
tender shoots and newly planted stuff. When they get desperate they will
even eat my Red Apple iceplant.
Within the city limits I cannot use a firearm. Would an air rifle be
powerful enough to kill them? Wonder where they go to die. Will I end up
with Rabbit carcasses all over my garden?
Trapping them sounds like a lot of trouble, especially with the high cost of
Any other drastic remedies?
And no, I do not want to cook them. During the depression my wife and I
collected road-kill rabbits and cooked them for supper. During the war (WW
II Germany) we bred them by the hundreds in our backyard and turned them
into sausage. Fortunately we no longer have a need for such desperate
Yes- I've dispatched dozens of rabbits and hundreds of squirrels with
a break action pellet rifle from Walmart. [for that matter- the
*right* air rifle can kill a buffalo] Something that shoots around
750-1000 fps is lethal. The Storm XT that I bought was less than
$100. I tossed the scope and regularly pick squirrels out of
tree-tops with head shots.
Be fore-warned, it is probably considered a firearm in most
Shot in the head, they drop in place.
No gas- just a 5 gallon bucket of water. Relocating is probably less
legal than killing them out of season.
i've actually had some success with 'liquid fence' -
Worth a try while you're reducing the population.
I eat all my rabbits, squirrels and vermin. But first I compost
them and convert them to tomatoes.
Might sound silly but I just got a 2 foot rubber snake from wal-mart and
was overwhelmed at how it worked for my squirrel problem.
I have a container garden on the deck (about 14 feet up) and had
squirrels eating my tomatoes as soon as they'd ripen. Shot 8 or 10 of
them and figured I'd run out of ammo long before I would run out of
Put this snake on the railing of the deck and watched a critter approach
from the other side. He rounded the corner, saw the snake, and
spastically jumped over the side (14 feet up).
Just ate my first few ripe ones... 8^)
Should work for rabbits also.
firstname.lastname@example.org (Doug Miller) wrote in
You need a special rabbit proof fence. Worked well for us back when we had
a garden. Sounds like they're all over your yard,tho.
It's weird. The rabbits and squirrels have not been so plentiful this
year. (NY). We have a lot of screaming crows this year,tho. They scare
Won't work - at least according to the Secretary of Homeland Security.
She is on record as saying "Build a 15-foot fence and I'll show you a rabbit
that can dig a 16-foot hole."
Or something like that - she goes on to discuss mayonnaise if I recall
I'm trying to grow tomatoes in pots. The pots are tall enough so that a
rabbit can't reach the plants standing on it's hind legs. The pots are
tightly surrounded by chicken wire that is closed at the top. There are no
openings bigger than the chicken wire openings. It is electrified by an
electric fence gizmo. Something is still eating my new plants. I didn't
even suspect the squirrels. Now I'm suspecting mice.
I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The rabbits
kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot one from
about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three times. It died.
I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a pellet gun would be more
than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my tomato plants. Instead of
eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off the main stalk at ground level,
thus destroying their food supply. I think the tomato plants are smarter
than the rabbits.
Ah,mice could touch the fencing and not make a current path to ground;the
pots are not conductive.
I suspect your other connection is to the ground itself,so any animal would
have to touch both ground and the fence to get a zap.
if a mouse leapt onto the fencing,it would not make a complete circuit for
curent to flow.
There is enough voltage that, if I'm standing on damp ground and wearing
vinly/rubber/whatever-they-are-made-of sneakers, I'll still get a shock if I
touch the chicken wire. Yes, one side is connected to ground but I *think*
I'm insulated. Maybe not. The tomato plants are well grounded even though
they are in pots, as long as I water them well. But, like you said, the
mice are too small to make a complete circuit if the tomato plant is still
small. Now if I could just get that snake that's been hanging around to
stay and eat the mice...
The things they sell at the grocery stores *look* like tomatoes but have no
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.