Rabbits galore

Page 1 of 3
I am plagued by hordes of rabbits. They eat everything in sight, especially tender shoots and newly planted stuff. When they get desperate they will even eat my Red Apple iceplant.
Within the city limits I cannot use a firearm. Would an air rifle be powerful enough to kill them? Wonder where they go to die. Will I end up with Rabbit carcasses all over my garden?
Trapping them sounds like a lot of trouble, especially with the high cost of gasoline.
Any other drastic remedies?
And no, I do not want to cook them. During the depression my wife and I collected road-kill rabbits and cooked them for supper. During the war (WW II Germany) we bred them by the hundreds in our backyard and turned them into sausage. Fortunately we no longer have a need for such desperate measures.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

How about a couple of dogs to scare them away?

We have a couple Beagles. No wabbits in our backyard.

Yes- I've dispatched dozens of rabbits and hundreds of squirrels with a break action pellet rifle from Walmart. [for that matter- the *right* air rifle can kill a buffalo] Something that shoots around 750-1000 fps is lethal. The Storm XT that I bought was less than $100. I tossed the scope and regularly pick squirrels out of tree-tops with head shots. Be fore-warned, it is probably considered a firearm in most jurisdictions.

Shot in the head, they drop in place.

No gas- just a 5 gallon bucket of water. Relocating is probably less legal than killing them out of season.

i've actually had some success with 'liquid fence' - http://www.liquidfence.com/dual-rabbit.html Worth a try while you're reducing the population.

-snip-
I eat all my rabbits, squirrels and vermin. But first I compost them and convert them to tomatoes.
Jim
Might sound silly but I just got a 2 foot rubber snake from wal-mart and was overwhelmed at how it worked for my squirrel problem.
I have a container garden on the deck (about 14 feet up) and had squirrels eating my tomatoes as soon as they'd ripen. Shot 8 or 10 of them and figured I'd run out of ammo long before I would run out of rodents.
Put this snake on the railing of the deck and watched a critter approach from the other side. He rounded the corner, saw the snake, and spastically jumped over the side (14 feet up).
Just ate my first few ripe ones... 8^)
Should work for rabbits also.
Sounds good. All I have to do is find a big rubber snake, like a python.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

WTF don't you have a fence?

WTF do you think a fence will stop a burrowing animal for more than, oh, maybe a minute and a half?

You need a special rabbit proof fence. Worked well for us back when we had a garden. Sounds like they're all over your yard,tho.
It's weird. The rabbits and squirrels have not been so plentiful this year. (NY). We have a lot of screaming crows this year,tho. They scare everything away.

If the fence isn't installed by a blithering idiot, it'll be sunk far enough to keep out a rabbit.

you -bury- the bottom foot of the fencing.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Won't work - at least according to the Secretary of Homeland Security.
She is on record as saying "Build a 15-foot fence and I'll show you a rabbit that can dig a 16-foot hole."
Or something like that - she goes on to discuss mayonnaise if I recall correctly.

rabbit
I'm trying to grow tomatoes in pots. The pots are tall enough so that a rabbit can't reach the plants standing on it's hind legs. The pots are tightly surrounded by chicken wire that is closed at the top. There are no openings bigger than the chicken wire openings. It is electrified by an electric fence gizmo. Something is still eating my new plants. I didn't even suspect the squirrels. Now I'm suspecting mice.
I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The rabbits kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot one from about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three times. It died. I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a pellet gun would be more than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my tomato plants. Instead of eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off the main stalk at ground level, thus destroying their food supply. I think the tomato plants are smarter than the rabbits.
Ulysses wrote:

The rabbits are Democrats silly, I thought everyone knew that.
TDD

Ah,mice could touch the fencing and not make a current path to ground;the pots are not conductive. I suspect your other connection is to the ground itself,so any animal would have to touch both ground and the fence to get a zap. if a mouse leapt onto the fencing,it would not make a complete circuit for curent to flow.

you must really like homegrown tomatoes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

would
There is enough voltage that, if I'm standing on damp ground and wearing vinly/rubber/whatever-they-are-made-of sneakers, I'll still get a shock if I touch the chicken wire. Yes, one side is connected to ground but I *think* I'm insulated. Maybe not. The tomato plants are well grounded even though they are in pots, as long as I water them well. But, like you said, the mice are too small to make a complete circuit if the tomato plant is still small. Now if I could just get that snake that's been hanging around to stay and eat the mice...

The things they sell at the grocery stores *look* like tomatoes but have no flavor.

Ulysses wrote:

(...)
Ranked by descending hardness:
Diamond Silicon Carbide Supermarket Tomato Corundum Chrysoberyl
--Winston

no
LMAO
I was thinking many of them are made by Mattel or Fisher Price.

Ulysses wrote:

Crunch! "Thing tastes like a Mr. Potato Head."
--Winston

Sell and move away.