Rabbit Rifle Info needed

Yabbut .......
In our part of the country, the squirrels are special.
http://www.desertusa.com/animals/rock_squirrel.html
There are few trees big enough for them to nest in. The ones who do nest there don't last for long. They live in burrows. I have a small canyon next to my house. Other than that, there is very little habitat for them, and a lot of coyotes, their main predator. If we hit the populations in the canyon early and often, we can limit the number greatly because they will not pass over great distances of bare ground to expose themselves. We do have new ones from year to year, but no great population explosions.
Steve

heh,reminds me of this video I saw on TV that an English couple shot;they had a squirrel/bird feeder problem,and begin engineering more difficult-to- access bird feeders,and taped the squirrels defeating them,and it was amazing what the rodents could get past. it was literally squirrels running obstacle courses. VERY entertaining.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have seen some of the English competitions, and it took some of the squirrels weeks to figure out and master the course.
Steve
I watched a guy shoot rabbits at an elementary school in a housing neighborhood.
He used a long barrel .22 rifle and .22 short ammunition. Nobody noticed. He shot 20 or so in an afternoon.
In my neighborhood that would be illegal AND you'd get caught. An airgun is a bit questionable for legality but with some care I don't think you'd get caught. You don't want a lot of power - the larger ones are as loud as a .22 RF. You do want very careful shot placement. That means knowing your range and trajectory very well. Pellets don't shoot anywhere near as flat as a .22, and aren't as forgiving with small placement errors.
But if you really want to see a guy who knows what he's doing, check out this article in the European Stars & Stripes. http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section 4&article9467 This guy shoots 100 in a night!

Check out Rufus _THE Bean Shooter Man_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

Pest control, weeding his corn field or cracking walnuts.

That shooter is in the UK and limited to 12 foot-pounds before his airrifle becomes a firearm. I don't remember offhand how fast that is, somewhere in the 800 fps range though.
Note that he does most of his shooting at night with a light. "lamping"
I didn't recognize the particular airgun but have been told it's probably a Theoben Fenman, which is going to be above your budget.

On America's Funniest Home Videos tonight,they had a clip of a plastic bird feeder suction-cupped to a window,and the squirrel was leaping from a patio chair straight into the feeder opening,more than once. Not any great acrobatic stuff,but funny.The opening in the feeder wasn't all that big.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 1/3/2010 11:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

OK, I'll bite. How do you teach them to climb up and push the release button?
Bob