"R" for insulation????

Unlike your arrogance, your ignorance may be curable :-)

You might buy an old copy of the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals and look at the table on R-values of plane airspaces, or look into "System R-values."

Nick

Labeling and Advertising of Home Insulation (R-Value Rule) CFR 16CFR460

(From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access)

Source: 44 FR 50242, Aug. 27, 1979, unless otherwise noted.

Sec. 460.1 What this regulation does.

This regulation deals with home insulation labels, fact sheets, ads, and other promotional materials in or affecting commerce, as "commerce" is defined in the Federal Trade Commission Act. If you are covered by this regulation, breaking any of its rules is an unfair and deceptive act or practice or an unfair method of competition under section 5 of that Act. You can be fined heavily (up to $10,000 plus an adjustment for inflation, under Sec. 1.98 of this chapter) each time you break a rule...

460.5 R-value tests.

R-value measures resistance to heat flow. R-values given in labels, fact sheets, ads, or other promotional materials must be based on tests done under the methods listed below. They were designed by the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM). The test methods are: All types of insulation except aluminum foil must be tested with ASTM C

177-85 (Reapproved 1993), "Standard Test Method for Steady-State Heat Flux Measurements and Thermal Transmission Properties by Means of the Guarded-Hot-Plate Apparatus;" ASTM C 236-89 (Reapproved 1993)...

The tests must be done at a mean temperature of 75 deg.Fahrenheit. The tests must be done on the insulation material alone (excluding any airspace). R-values ("thermal resistance") based upon heat flux measurements according to ASTM C 177-85 (Reapproved 1993) or ASTM C 518-91 must be reported only in accordance with the requirements and restrictions of ASTM C 1045-90, "Standard Practice for Calculating Thermal Transmission Properties from Steady-State Heat Flux Measurements."

Aluminum foil systems with more than one sheet must be tested with ASTM C

236-89 (Reapproved 1993) or ASTM C 976-90, which are incorporated by reference in paragraph (a) of this section. The tests must be done at a mean temperature of 75 deg.Fahrenheit, with a temperature differential of 30 deg.Fahrenheit.

Single sheet systems of aluminum foil must be tested with ASTM E408 or another test method that provides comparable results. This tests the emissivity of the foil--its power to radiate heat. To get the R-value for a specific emissivity level, air space, and direction of heat flow, use the tables in the most recent edition of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers' (ASHRAE) Handbook. You must use the R-value shown for 50 deg.Fahrenheit, with a temperature differential of 30 deg.Fahrenheit.

For insulation materials with foil facings, you must test the R-value of the material alone (excluding any air spaces) under the methods listed in paragraph (a) of this section. You can also determine the R-value of the material in conjunction with an air space. You can use one of two methods to do this:

You can test the system, with its air space, under ASTM C 236-89 (Reapproved

1993) or ASTM C 976-90, which are incorporated by reference in paragraph (a) of this section. If you do this, you must follow the rules in paragraph (a) of this section on temperature, aging and settled density.

You can add up the tested R-value of the material and the R-value of the air space. To get the R-value for the air space, you must follow the rules in paragraph (c) of this section.

For aluminum foil: the number of foil sheets; the number and thickness of the air spaces; and the R-value provided by that system when the direction of heat flow is up, down, and horizontal.

For insulation materials with foil facings, you must follow the rule that applies to the material itself. For example, if you manufacture boardstock with a foil facing, follow paragraph (b)(4) of this section. You can also show the R-value of the insulation when it is installed in conjunction with an air space. This is its "system R-value." If you do this, you must clearly and conspicuously state the conditions under which the system R-value can be attained.

Also see:

and

nicksanspam

Wake up senile nick, R value is R value, a standardised measurement used to measure insulations effectiveness, resistance to heat flow. Polyiso foilfaced, Both Sides is R 7.2" new, 6.8R" stabilised. Your mythical dreamworld of R 6 added with 2 sheets of foil does not exist anywhere in reality or at any store on this planet, or it would be sold as R 12.8* polyiso, and it is not.

Reply to
m Ransley

Senile is not the word.

Nick appears to believe that he is a reincarnation of a mythical all-knowing, all-powerful being. His attitude towards others reinforces this idea with almost everything he posts.

patent holders are idiots.

Facts are false.

Everyone else besides Nick are absolute morons is the message he conveys

Aluminum foil is tested for 'emissivity' not R value. That is the test is to see how good a RADIATOR it is not how good and INSULATOR it is. If it is used for cookware and electric power distribution, it CAN'T be an insulator of heat or electricity.

Aluminum is therefore a RADIANT barrier, and may also act as a vapor retarder, but it does NOT improve an INSULATION material's ability to restrict the movement of heat, EXCEPT by REFLECTING the heat - but it RADIATES to BOTH sides of the foil. An AIRSPACE MUST be incorporated in order for the foil to be effective and the literature that Nick quotes indicates this as well.

So Foil helps, BUT only when there is a air gap. Foil faced insulation is more effective than non foil faced insulation only when there is an air gap for the foil to radiate heat into. Even then, if there is no circulation of that air, we get a heat buildup between the foil and the outside sheathing that could take most of the night to dissipate.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Niki, Niki, Niki. You can m*******te all the equations you want, but you can't change material at will.

I have been in the EPS business since May of 1970. I have been in every aspect of molding expandable polystyrene beads. Packaging, insulation, ICF, fabricated board. If it was an open cell, do you think the coffee cuts and seafood containers would be holding liquids?

Want the names of the top chemists for this stuff at NOVA or BASF, or Huntsman?

What is EPS?

Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a rigid, closed cell, plastic foam material. EPS can be molded into a variety of shapes and sizes. EPS is typically available in large blocks that can be cut into sheeting, architectural detail work for use on houses and buildings, signage, floatation etc. It's lightweight properties make it very easy to work with. Architectural EPS is modified with a fire retardant and is usually encapsulated with an acrylic-based finish.

EPS is totally recyclable. EPS does not contain ozone depleting CFC's or HCFC's.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

m Ransley errs again:

It can work that way in the real world, but it's illegal to advertise R12.8, according to US federal regs, because the R-value depends on the installation conditions, which is confusing to the general public. Altho we can measure and calculate and advertise the "system R-value," if we have the merest grasp of physics :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Some of us can calculate the R-value based on the emissivity :-)

Wrong.

Wrong.

Right :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Wrong.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

My Dearest Niki, Please call Felix at Nova Chemical. Or Warren at BASF. They will educate you. They can even send you photos of the cellular structure of the material. They can send you many of the technical bulletins. They can give you the specifications.

By stating that I'm wrong on this, you merely show your inability to accept reality. Prove me wrong. Show me the statistics. Show me the technical data. If the people that have been making EPS since 1954 are wrong, they would certainly appreciate you setting them right.

I didn't invent the material, I just work with it for the past 36 years. Millions of pounds of it, tens of millions of parts made with it. Sure Nick, you know everything.

I respectfully await your reply. Your friend, Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nick, we demand mathimaticals of proof.

Reply to
m Ransley

Nick, Where can I buy R 13,2 foamboard.

Reply to
m Ransley

You can't even spell mathimaticals of proof :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Foamboard Nick, where can anybody buy R 12 Foamboard Nick, Post some proof of your crackpot theorys. or get off the crack or pot.

Reply to
m Ransley

A European lumber yard?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

A US lumberyard.

I did, but you didn't understand it :-) Try education.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam