R-22 vs. R410a (Puron)

Page 3 of 3

Sounds like you're talking about two different measures of efficiency. One is saying that R-410 is a more efficient *refrigerant* because it provides more cooling per unit of refrigerant pumped around the system. The other is saying that both *systems* have the same efficiency in terms of cooling provided per watt-hour of electricity consumed.
    Dave
Dave Martindale writes:

Yes. My right one, and the other wrong one.

By tranplanting a 410-A compressor of the same HP into an existing R-22 system, and charging the system with 410-A and replacing the TXV, the SEER of the system will be greater after the changes.
What this means is that R-410_A can achieve the same SEER by using a physically smaller compressor (smaller because mass flow rate requirement is lower) and smaller coils. Refrigerants can actually be rated in efficiency (EER) compared to each other, and specifically in regards to the application. They are correct, and you are wrong. The problem is that they didn't know why they were right.
hvacrmedic
hvacrmedic writes:

This is quite confused. Efficiency is a property of a refrigeration system, not a refrigerant. It also varies with conditions. There is no such thing as comparative efficiency of refrigerants, as opposed to system efficiency under specific conditions.
You may be confusing refrigerant properties like molar heat capacity with efficiency. R410a is "better" in that regard than R22, and worse in other properties important to refrigeration. Which one performs better depends on the systems employed and the operating conditions. You can cook up examples where either outperforms the other.

Kinch, Your trolling is getting a bit tiresome. Maybe if you got your nose out of the books, and actually worked with these refrigerants and this equipment in real life, you would have a better understanding of what we are talking about.
Noon-Air writes:

You may be tired, but there's no trolling going on.

Sorry, wrong anwer. Welcome to my killfile.
*PLONK*

For the specific application where it is used, there is nothing worse about 410-A. Whether we can cook up other applications where it is worse is immaterial. There is probably some scenario possible, some universe, where 410-A causes a planet to explode, but that would have no bearing on the systems in which it is used on our planet in our universe.

A little more info on the lineset size, please. Does R-410a require a different size line than R-22?
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----