R-20, R-50 insulation

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I guess very small, no? anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure which insulation fit my attic better. Thanks

Reply to
leza wang

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. Please tell us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Maybe he lives in a pyramid?

Reply to
HeyBub

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the lower the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For example:

A regular brick: R=0.80

1/2" drywall: R=0.45 Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness
Reply to
HeyBub

Hi, I thought R stands for "resistance" not conductivity.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think you are correct, but resistivity is an inverse measure of conductivity. Leza is a lady, if I remember correctly from earlier posts, and someone who is trying to learn and do a lot of home repair things. Good for her!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Generally an inaccessible "attic" in a cottage roofed 1 1/2 story house

Reply to
clare

Well, you're right.

"R" is a measure of thickness / conductivity. Or thickness x resitance (since resistance is the inverse of conductivity and vice-versa).

Reply to
HeyBub

thanks a lot for your reply, i did do the measurement again. i have 2 attic, one with size 8fx7.5f =3D 60 sf and the other one is 8fx2.5f =3D

20sf
Reply to
leza wang

thanks a lot indeed.

Reply to
leza wang

That's incredibly small. Are you sure you don't mean meters?

Reply to
cjt