R-20, R-50 insulation

I have very small attic (2 sides, each has like around 37 sequre f) I guess very small, no? anyway I want to insulate the floor of the attic and i am not sure what to chose! I have seen R-20 R-50 etc but not sure what they represent. i live in toronto canada and it is cold here so not sure which insulation fit my attic better. Thanks

Part of the advice will depend on how you get into the attic to place the insulation, if there is any flooring in the attic,. Please tell us more about the attic, 37 square feet means the attic is slightly larger than 6ft by 6ft which doesn't make much sense.

Maybe he lives in a pyramid?
leza wang wrote:

"R-value" is a measure of heat conductivity. The bigger the "R", the lower the heat conductivity and the more insulation capability. For example:
A regular brick: R=0.80 1/2" drywall: R=0.45 Fiberglass batts: R=3.14 per inch of thickness
HeyBub wrote:

Hi, I thought R stands for "resistance" not conductivity.

I think you are correct, but resistivity is an inverse measure of conductivity. Leza is a lady, if I remember correctly from earlier posts, and someone who is trying to learn and do a lot of home repair things. Good for her!!

thanks a lot indeed.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Well, you're right.
"R" is a measure of thickness / conductivity. Or thickness x resitance (since resistance is the inverse of conductivity and vice-versa).

Generally an inaccessible "attic" in a cottage roofed 1 1/2 story house

thanks a lot for your reply, i did do the measurement again. i have 2 attic, one with size 8fx7.5f = 60 sf and the other one is 8fx2.5f = 20sf
On 10/30/2011 11:05 AM, leza wang wrote:

That's incredibly small. Are you sure you don't mean meters?