R-134a 30 lb Cylinder Price??

I was watching a 30 lb cylinder of R-134a on EBAY with a beginning price of $200 and it closed without getting a single bid.

That makes me think that the price of a 30 pound cylinder of R-134a is coming down.

What have you heard?

Reply to
Sherman

Credentials? Who requires credentials?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This is Turtle.

He may mean that people in the business who buy 22 , 134-A, and 408-A from the wholesale warehouses and pay wholesale prices would not buy it on E-bay and not know about the quality of what they bought. i'm in the HVAC/R business and i don't buy freon from E-Bay for i don't know where it come from.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

The last time i checked on it about 2 weeks ago they still wanted $240.00 for a drum. i use to use a lot of it on walk-in coolers and i have stop using it and went back to 22 and [ R-507 / AZ-50 ] .

I think Dupont is fixing to get a lesson in supply and demand for 134-A is being stop uses and using other gases and they may have a bunch of it and no where to sell it at. At $240.00 a Drum , I have a bunch of freon to be used cheaper that it and we are just using those types.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Those that have the credentials to purchase R-134a don't bother with EBAY.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

EPA requires section 608 or 609 certification to purchase refrigerant. The seller may be violating Clean Air Act, depending on who he sells to. Maximum fine is now $30,000.00!

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Anyone can buy R134a at auto parts stores since it supposedly doesn't harm ozone or spotted owls. The R12 stays behind the counter for the people who took the 10 question open book test.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

This is Turtle.

I talk with a Local E.P.A. fellow about venting gases and we got on the subject of venting 134-A . He said he can charge a card carring HVAC/R man for on purpose he vented 134-A . All freons are to be recovered and returned for reprocessing. Now he said he could not charge a customer or Joe blow on the street for venting the freon for he did not sign the E.P.A. card application when he took the test.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

At the rate your buying the 134-a at walmarts by the can , your paying $258.00 a drum. I just called my refrigeration warehouse and they have it for $261.00 + Sales Tax a Drum. Everybody is waiting for the crash in price to buy.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Yeah, and we ALL know how tightly ebay polices their auctions. And punishes those who violate the rules.

I'd rather have a carful of wiseguys mad at me than ebay.

Yeah, right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well I don't blame you.

The latest that sold on ebay including shipping was National brand sealed 30 lb cylinder for $184. ($142 plus $42 shipping.)

One guy has 2 pallets also for sale at the price of $200 each non-negotiable.

That's good news - it's definitely getting cheaper. I'm buying mine at walmart for 6.89 per 12 oz can.

China is supposed to be flooding the market with ship loads of the stuff. Hope someone is charge of checking for purity.

Reply to
Sherman

Berkshire Bill wrote Those that have the credentials to purchase R-134a don't bother with EBAY.

================

What credentials are required for the purchase of R-134a?

Oops, I forget. Photo ID credentials are required:

Everybody has the credentials to purchase this refrigerant. The credentials have the photos of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant, and Franklin. The credentials come in handy demoninations of 1, 2, 5, 10 ,20, 50, and 100.

Reply to
Gideon

EPA requires section 608 or 609 certification to purchase refrigerant. The seller may be violating Clean Air Act, depending on who he sells to. Maximum fine is now $30,000.00!

================

The EPA requires testing and certification to purchase so-called OZONE-DEPLETING refrigerants. You can purchase refrigerants such as R-134a and R-410a without certification. The seller is not violating any laws. Nobody is getting fined.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

You have to be certified do buy any refrigerant in WI, and I think also Calfornia.

Reply to
h1ebs

This is Turtle.

These states may have it controlled up good but everywhere else R-134-A is sold at walmarts but there is one rule tyhat applies to 134-A freon buying from Walmarts. you have to be 21 years of age before you can buy it. You know the kids freon sniffers using the stuff by can.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Turtle wrote: I talk with a Local E.P.A. fellow about venting gases and we got on the subject of venting 134-A . He said he can charge a card carring HVAC/R man for on purpose he vented 134-A . All freons are to be recovered and returned for reprocessing. Now he said he could not charge a customer or Joe blow on the street for venting the freon for he did not sign the E.P.A. card application when he took the test.

========================

Turtle,

That may be his practice, but some of what he is saying is incorrect. It is illegal for anybody to intentionally vent R134-a during service, repair, maintenance or disposal of a system. In practice and due to pragmatic considerations, the EPA tends to focus their attention on "the big boys" and does not overtly chase down the average amateur working on his own system. But it is still illegal.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

I think you are missing the point and the bit of humor. There is no EPA certification required to purchase R-134a. All you need is the cash purchase price, hence the reference to demoninational certificates. (money).

There is NO need for eBay to police sales of R-134a or to punish phantom "violators."

As for eBay policing for items which really are restricted (such as R-12, most guns, etc.) I'd guess that neither you nor I know the actual legal situation there. That is further complicated by the fact that eBay imposes bans and restrictions which are based solely upon political correctness, and not upon any universal statute.

Gideon

====================

Yeah, and we ALL know how tightly ebay polices their auctions. And punishes those who violate the rules.

I'd rather have a carful of wiseguys mad at me than ebay.

Yeah, right.

Steve

Reply to
Gideon

That may be true, but we are discussing EPA certification, which is a federal issue.

Reply to
Gideon

So I went off topic, Not that talking about epa is not off topic also. I thought it was the cost of 134a that this thread was about.

Reply to
h1ebs