Quieter muffler for lawn mower, will it help?

I've been thinking about putting a better muffler on my Sears lawn mower so that it runs quieter. Several questions

Anybody ever try this?

Will it help or does the rest of the engine and blade make so much noise that it won't make much difference?

Where can I get a better muffler that can easily attach to the mower engine?

thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Don't do it, just wear hearing protection. Smaller motors need the "flow" fairly unrestricted and you do not want to mess with it too much.

Reply to
borgunit

There is a limit to what you can achieve with an air cooled motor. The fins ring, and there is the mechanical noise. The biggest problem is mounting the new muffler - to make it quieter, it needs to be larger. Google in rec.craft.metalworking a year or 2 back. One poster (Ernie) had similar issues with a generator and used a small car muffler. It made a significnat difference, but the limitation was the mechanical noise of the motor. Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Merryweather.