Quieter muffler for generator ?

I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high. (5500 watt)
Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.
I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger generators with half the decibel level.
Any ideas to make it quieter ?
Thanks, Andy
I got a generator for my mother but the noise level is very high. (5500 watt)
Briggs and Stratton say they have no other muffler that is quieter.
I find it difficult to understand since I have seen much bigger generators with half the decibel level.
Any ideas to make it quieter ?
Thanks, Andy
Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

I have a 16hp Briggs V twin Vanguard engine that came with a very quiet muffler so I'd say that they make them. Actually it didn't come with it, I had to order the manifold and muffler separately but it was specifically made for it. I put the motor on my Case lawn tractor and it is very quiet even wide open with the snowblower on it.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

That is all they have, but they "could" make a better one at a higher price. They just don't want to.
I once made an engine quieter by adding a wrap of thin metal around the muffler extending about 10" longer. Just be sure you don't add any restrictions.

Cheap air-cooled generators make lots of noise. The better ones have more cylinders and sound attenuated enclosures. The best ones are water cooled, very heavy and have sound attenuated enclosures. The more you pay, the better, more reliable, longer lifespan,more stable electrical output, and quieter they get
Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

I've had a muffler shop make pipes for me before so I could add a different muffler to a small generator. You could find a muffler for a very small car like one of those 3 cylinder jobs. A good independent muffler shop, not one of the chain stores because of their reluctance to improvise, would be a good place to look for help. A good exhaust system tech could make the bigger muffler fit on top of your generator so it would still be portable.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

They make it noisy so it has a higher watt rating, talk to a local muffler and tractor-farm supply-lawnmower shop and have someone weld on a real muffler, it will lower power but so what, I know they are as loud as jackhammers

The muffler on mine was one of those short fat ones about 3 inches in diameter. I slippes a 2 ft piece of pipe over the muffler and clamped it in place with a water hose clamp. I cant say it quieter but the deeper sound doesnt bother me as much
Jimmie
Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

Mine's quite loud.
Fortunately, I can't hear it over the noise made by the other generators in the neighborhood.

As you are aware,we had a pretty good storm come through Houston and Galveston county recently. 2 weeks before I was in Northern Tool and Equip gazing longingly at the Honda eu3000,but didn't get it then. 3 days after ther storm,with no electric and food spoiling,I rode by Northern because they would not answer the phone.Their phone ser. was out,but they had generators,and I got in a 2 hr line to get the Honda. The employees were using their personal cell phones to call in credit cards,but they made it happen. I will be a customer for life for them being there when I needed them. The Honda is very quiet and reliable,and I shoulda got it earlier. safe and sound, Tim