quiet underlayment for carpet on 2nd floor

I have a room above my sound studio downstairs. What is the best underlayment materials I can use under my carpet upstairs to reduce impact noise from footsteps?
I heard someone said I can use a layer of cork underlayment first, followed by a carpet pad, then finally the carpet.
I searched through the newsgroups regarding this and it appears most people use cork underlayments for wood floors and not for carpeted floors.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
The cork sounds like it'd work. You can get 90-weight (heaver than typical) carpet padding too. Experiment. -- (||) Nehmo (||)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

there :o) Carpet plus foam padding should silence just about any foot traffic sounds, unless junior has a trampoline. Making the floor treatment too thick might give you problems with doors closing, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I would guess the problem is more than impact noise as any reasonable carpet and pad would handle that.
Take a look at: http://www.soundproofing.org/ for some ideas.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Concrete board would be best , seperating it from the floor with rubber isolation pads. Google to check out what sound proofing companies recomend, concrete does soundproof but the key to soundproofing is not allowing the transfer of sound, that is why rubber pads float the floor.
m Ransley wrote:

I think a good way of saying it is that you need to block the sound and you need to block the vibration.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On 12 May 2006 22:28:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"