Quiet condensate pump for gas furnace

The house I just moved into has a closet furnace with a Hartell KN-20X-1UL condensate pump. I can understand why they felt the need to pump the water up to the attic and out the side. Finding a way for it to drain would seem very difficult from the closet. Guess they could have gone with an furnace installation in the attic but oh well.

However, the thing is noisy. Not so much while the AC is on but after it's off since condensation can still drip into the pump for up to an hour or more. At night this has a tendancy to be loud when no other sound is made.

So I'm wondering if anybody has any advice to a quieter one. The installer could have gone with a 15' unit instead. It doesn't have to pump that high. Would a Hartell KN-15X-1UL naturally be quieter because of this? Thanks.

Reply to
macmover

How about this:

Wire a 24V relay to the compressor contactor leads (at the furnace). Relay only allows pump to run when compressor is on. Do an experiment first to be sure the residual condensate won't overflow the pump tank.

If the furnace is a hi-eff condensing model, it can be configured the same way during heat season.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim