Quickly tarnishing brass

Is there a way to quickly - like overnight - tarnish brass? Looking for an old look, but the brass I have is too shiny. TIA.
ADC wrote:

I would try using water or steam.
ADC wrote:

I've heard of quickly tarnishing copper roofs with horse pee.
Nick
What is the application? e.g. what items are made of brass?

ADC wrote:

If there is a stained glass supply shop somewhere nearby, drop in there and ask about "patina." They sell bottles of solutions do exactly what you want. If you have an extra piece of the brass, bring it with and see if they will test it out for you. Some of them make it real dark real fast.

Not sure about forcing tarnish quickly per se. They first thing is to make sure there is no finish on the Brass to prevent tarnishing. Often lacquer finish is applied to prevent tarnishing. Use a paint stripper on the item, following instructions. See what happens. Let nature take its course from there or try as others have suggested. First they key is to remove the protective finish if there is one.

Wouldn't lacquer thinner, perhaps diluted with a dollop of denatured alcohol, be more appropriate for stripping lacquer? I think paint stripper would be needed only if the item were varnished, which is unlikely from the factory. Paint stripper will work, of course, but seems overkill to me :-).
--
Luke
First, ensure there is no protective finish on the brass. Soak it in a bit of lacquer thinner for about 15-30 mins and wash clean with water. Next, mix up a solution of salt and water (I forget the amounts just that it was pretty strong salt water!). Dip the parts in the salt water. Then, hang the parts over a bath of ammonia and heat with a hair dryer. Repeat the salt water/ammonia business until you get the patina you like.

ADC wrote:

Liver of sulfur.
--
dadiOH