quick tornado shelter

Page 2 of 2
On 7/7/2011 11:27 AM, bud-- wrote: ...

Yes, I only pointed out the assessment was done w/ the enhanced rating system in the assessment of damage. I tried but wasn't able to find the particular radar image I had seen once; it was large enough and close enough to the NWS radar site the eye was clearly visible for quite a while--that's pretty unusual if not unique.

On 7/7/2011 10:54 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

:)
Sorta', yeah... :)
In my defense... :) --
I was speaking of the case where you don't know/can't see but there's an active warning in the area in that covers your location--better take precautions.
On the other hand, in that instance I saw it form and could tell it was moving away from us and was sufficiently distant as to not present an imminent threat to us. It was, in fact, only partly cloudy locally at the time the sun was still out on us.

Ah,I went through three hurricanes in a month and a half in 2004. Charlie was the first and worst. (Orlando area,not near a coast) In an apartment.(on the 2nd of 3 floors.) No real damage to building,me or my stuff. No power for 7 days,in 90plus weather.
there really wasn't anywhere TO go to avoid the hurricane,it came right up the length of Florida.You could end up worse off then if you stayed home,unless you live near the coast. I suppose I could have gone to one of the school shelters....YUK.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Was it Charlie that took a hard right turn and didn't go where it was expected? We only went about 5 mi from coast, higher elevation, first floor of motel (in case the roof came off), quart of Jack Daniels. Hubby wouldn't evacuate, and that kind of took the edge off trying to save much of my "stuff"...girlfriend, terrified of hurricanes, supplied the refreshments. Learned during that storm who, of my neighbors, were all balls and no brains :o) Since I'd seen stuff blowing around at 70 mph, I didn't want to wait around for 15' (or more) storm surges with 100 mph wind...hubby wanted to save his boat, and I didn't want to watch him get crushed to death or drown. 15' storm surge where I lived would flood the upstairs neighbor. 20' waves? Why do some people need to have ya' draw a picture?
Jim Yanik wrote:

Depends on what you're used to.
Visitors or recent immigrants to the Gulf Coast have a completely different conception of hurricanes. Generally, when a storm enters the Gulf, these new arrivals look down and say: "Feet, make tracks!"*
The rest of us stock up on strawberry pop-tarts and beer, then plan our block parties.
--------------- * One of the more amusing incidents occurred during Hurricane Rita. Hundreds of thousands (literally) tried to leave the area, clogging the highways beyond description. They rode out the resulting tropical storm in their automobiles, some no more than 20 miles from home.
On 7/7/2011 8:16 AM, HeyBub wrote:

higher elevation) about 5 mi. Our neighbor went all the way to east of Tampa and got smashed .. Hurricane Charlie?
The thought of any major relocation, such as the terr'ists nuking a city, is really, really scary. There'd be lots more of "us" killing "us" than terr'ists killing us. Only have to shop for bread and milk during a blizzard warning to figure that one out :o)

Bread and milk?
Disaster food consists of strawberry poptarts and beer.

I think our water table is far too high for that. ...at least on this street.

Our tub has a huge glass window over it. We hang out in a closet in the center of the house, with the hallway closed off at each entrance. Again, the idea is to get out of the way of flying debris. A direct hit is Oz time.

I gotta get one. I haven't liked any I've seen, for various reasons. The last couple of times I was in Frys, they had none. No one carries them around here. ...at least I haven't found them.

A tornado, or straight-line winds? That's pretty narrow for a tornado, though anything is possible.
On 7/5/2011 7:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It was a tornado, about 4 or 5 blocks (narrow end) wide here. Next block toward the center trees were mostly OK.
Last year (or year before) there was an unusual tornado with temperatures in the 50s or 60s that was about a short block wide. It did a good job of taking down trees (little damage to houses unless they were hit by a tree), and was headed for downtown and pretty near before it lifted.
--
bud--

A number of years ago the warning system sucked. The tornado, if there even was one, could be three counties over. Very recently, they've vastly improved the system such that the warnings can be isolated very narrowly, based on the Doppler radar returns. The first year we were down here ('08) we had sirens go off every couple of nights for a while; likely two dozen times that spring. Last year, none. This year, once, the night of the Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Huntsville, and Lake Martin (the one close to us) tornadoes. Like I said, things changed, very recently. If they go off now, I'm not farting around!
On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:33:30 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull

Only hottubs or amazingly big bathtubs can hold two people. Even the bathtub in my 1930 luxury apartment building would not have been able to hold two people and lower the plywood to the top of the tub.
It's hard enough for me to tuck my 5'8" body totally into a tub.
Plus what Larry and Norminn said.
On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:33:30 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull

Although the news is often talking about people who protect themselves in the bathtub. I think they are just lucky,. and they're near the wall on two or three sides. Just like a door way is safer than the middle of the room.

Not Me. Underground!
We live 60 miles from Joplin and our three regional TV stations are from the Joplin area. I believe present death toll is 156. We hear from all stations that a lot of the folks, who didn't have underground shelter, did everything right. They got into interior rooms, bathrooms, closets, bathtubs, etc. Many of these people did not have a chance with the magnitude of that tornado. Bathtub and plywood would have been little protection. One of KOAM TV's news anchors went to his small utility room and squeezed himself between the washer and a closet wall. He survived but is still under medical care.
RonB
internaughtfull wrote the following:

Yeah, that's what you need, a sail!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
internaughtfull wrote:

A cast iron bathtub - without the lid you mention - is a pretty good shelter for random neighborhood gunfire.
Depending on where you live, gunfire may be more prevalent than tornadoes, e.g., Chicago vs. Kansas.