Quick temporary repair for hole in wall

To repair the plumbing for the kitchen sink, it was necessary to break the wall under the kitchen sink to get at the plumbing. The hole is about 7 or 8 inches in diameter.

Until I can have the hole repaired permanently, what can I use to cover that hole temporarily? I'm worried about insects or even mice coming through there tonight.

Reply to
Steven L.

Hi, Roll of duct tape?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony, you are a genius !!!!

Reply to
Robert

Metal single use cooking pan from Dollar Tree? Trim to shape with bandage shears. (sized much larger than the hole). Secure to the wall with drywall screws, and washers.

.

Until I can have the hole repaired permanently, what can I use to cover that hole temporarily? I'm worried about insects or even mice coming through there tonight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought mousies would chew through duct tape? And, it leaves sticky residue on the wall.

.

Tony, you are a genius !!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used a sheet of thick clear plastic that came with something and used shipping tape to adhere everwhere. Left about two weeks before could continue. Even survived some strong winds. [this was a hole through the outside wall as I moved the Stove Top Vent up 8 inches.]

Reply to
Robert Macy

I have seen sheet rock guys do this many times under the sink. They cut a stud (or two) just a couple of inches longer than the opening to use it for the stud inside the wall. They then screw a piece of sheet rock larger than the opening for the cover.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I'm not a rock guy but I've done that kind of repair many times. Pretty easy.

The duct tape answer is classic.

Virtually every question on this group can be answered "duct tape" or "WD-40".

If it was my hole under the sink:

Make edges of hole square.

Cut piece of plasterboard to fit.

Cut 2 wood strips longer than the hole.

Slip sticks in hole and attach with screws on top and bottom.

Screw plasterboard patch to 2 strips of wood.

Spackle.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I like that but I'm not sure about 2 issues.

On a highly visible wall, I think the thickness of the paper might be visible. Not an issue for under the sink.

The only support for the patch is paper and joint compound. Pressing on that part of the wall might lead to visible cracks. Again, not an issue under the sink.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I prefer the stick inside the wall method so I don't have to worry about the paper showing or bubbling or anything.

With the sticks and a patch all I have to mud is the gap around the patch.

However, I do see one advantage of the "California patch": You can use any thickness of drywall you have handy...it doesn't have to be the same as the existing wall.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Scrap piece of plywood?

Reply to
G. Morgan

If you have mice/insects in your wall a hole in that wall is not your problem.

Reply to
NotMe

That's what I thought of too.

Is there any problem with the duct tape being near the hot water pipes?

Reply to
Steven L.

Thanks, those were all good suggestions.

I covered the hole with duct tape, but the edge of the duct tape is abutting the hot water pipe. Could that cause a problem?

Reply to
Steven L.

If it does, put some WD-40 on it.

No, really, your duct tape will not burst into flames.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Assuming the wall is sheetrock, when you get ready to repair the hole, check "California Patch". The California patch is a technique for repairing sheetrock by constructing a specially configured plug - of any size.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. Since it looks like the OP is going to have somebody else do the patch, he should leave it alone, or stuff some rags in it if it makes him feel better. That'll stop bugs. Mice will chew right through drywall anyway if you have an infestation. That a totally different problem.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I don't think so neither. I think I've seen video using duct tape as a temporary solution on a split radiator hose (tho I never tried it).

Reply to
Doug

Until you start the car.

Jim