"Quick Release" plywood panel

Page 1 of 2
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!
Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.
One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.
I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. Any ideas?
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:52:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

Would those "ply clips" they use to hang hurricane panels in window frames work for you.
wrote in message wrote:

Would those "ply clips" they use to hang hurricane panels in window frames work for you.
Hinge it at the top. WW
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:52:23 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Harry K
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM UTC-2:30, Harry K wrote:

secure the opposite edge? There are other fasteners by the dozens for the free edge.

Z/C channel might just work. Worst case it will eliminate 50% of the fasteners. All I need to do is find some :)
Hurricane clips aren't appropriate for the application and a hinge won't get it done because of clearance issues (panel can't swing out far enough without hitting nearby obstacles).
One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully supported by underlying structure.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Galvanized deck screws. Use electric drill, and screw driver tip for inserting or removing the screws.
Since safety is an issue, use a LOT of screws.
One other item I neglected...the panel must support bodyweight (it's part of a climbing wall). Fortunately the bottom edge of the panel will be fully supported by underlying structure.
Thanks for the suggestions!
On 10/23/2012 12:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bad idea to have a removable panel on a climbing wall.
That's why I suggested a lot of galv deck screws.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:52 AM Subject: "Quick Release" plywood panel

Bad idea to have a removable panel on a climbing wall.
This any better?
While you're fixing the attributions, why not fix your wonderful top posts too?
No, it's an option that I unchecked (unticked, for UK friends) the box. With only two persons text, it can't be that hard to follow.
Better, now?
Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous posts which makes it difficult to tell who said what. Is that a bug in Outlook Express?
And your God blessed Haleighleujah-handclapping top-posting adds even more confusion to the thread. ;-)
On Oct 23, 3:10pm, "Stormin Mormon"

No! And it won't be "better" until you give up your stubborn, moronic top posting.
Harry K
On 10/23/2012 6:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yah, top posting totally destroys the flow of a thread
On 10/23/2012 6:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

as a rule, uk posters dont top-post so now whats your excuse?

Evidenlty they don't know how to punctuate, though.
On 10/24/2012 9:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Evidenlty????
On Oct 23, 11:54am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Neglected to mention that it must hold body weight? A minor detail, to be sure...
Bob F wrote:

Hanger bolts. Closet bolts are the toilet hold down bolts.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:03:14 PM UTC-2:30, dadiOH wrote:

In lieu of hanger bolts, I'm currently using threaded inserts (T-nuts) to bolt the panel in place. +1 since the bolt head will always be the same distance above the surface of the plywood, regardless of how much the bolt is tightened.
I'm going to try C-channel along 3 sides (bolts remain on the 4th side) as a test to see if it will be secure enough. Simply remove those bolts and slide the entire panel out. Given that it is a small piece of ply I'm optimistic that it will be strong enough...if I see appreciable flex I'll go back to using bolts.
Apologies to those who didn't get my update on a 'climbing wall' application. I was trying to describe the problem in a generic manner so it might also be useful to others. I'm appreciative of the suggestions...I always learn something new when I post on this group.
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:01:14 PM UTC-2:30, Harry K wrote:

Quick update: Plywood panel is triangular. I got away with 3 low-profile bolts on the hypotenuse and installed C-channel for the other 2 sides to mate with (against ceiling and wall). Very secure, no problem for climbing. The only problem now is a slight warp in the plywood which can make inserting/removing a bit challenging.
I tried straightening the plywood but no success (even with heat/pressure). Guess I'll do some spot sanding to make things a bit smoother.
On 10/23/2012 10:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

A piano hinge wouldn't work? That sounds like a perfect fit for what you described.