Quick fix for leak in basement?

Page 1 of 2
It figures, live in a house 4 years with a dry basement, decide to start framing it off, and the first good rain, it starts leaking.
I know the cause, the front gutter is clogged, and the overflow is pouring right where the leak is. I cant get up to clear the gutters in the rain, and they are predicting rain for the next 3 days, so I need a quick fix. Is there any special type of caulk that works well on a wet foundation? There is a hairline crack in the wall, maybe 1mm wide, been there since before we bought the house. I can go back and do a more permanent sealing job later, but for now, I just want to stop the flow of water under my newly framed walls.
Mike
--
"Light travels faster than sound;
This is why some people appear to be bright

Why not?

The quickest fix possible is to get on a ladder and unclog that gutter.

No. Hydraulic cement *might* do the job, if the water isn't coming in very fast. But you could get the gutter unclogged in far less time than it would take to drive to a hardware store and buy the cement.

What's stopping you from removing the clog from the gutter? This is one of those rare cases in which the *right* way to fix a problem, and the *fastest* way to fix it, are the same. Get on a ladder. Remove the clog. When the water stops coming in, patch the crack.
"Light travels faster than sound;
This is why some people appear to be bright

start
pouring
rain,
be
something
going
trying to

let me

Run out and buy a wet/dry shop vac. You'll need it for a million other things anyway. Make sure it comes with the correct attachment for picking up water from a wet floor. Sears is your savior at the moment.

Got one Craftsman 12 gallon, 4.5 HP It's a bit noisy, I would prefer not to have it running 24/7. As soon as I turn it off, it takes about 3 minutes for the seeping water to flow the 6 ft from the leaking wall to the new framed wall. I'm tempted to pick up a 24 pack of Juicy Fruit and pay the neighbor kid to start chewin.

24' ladder. If you don't have one already, you should.

Have someone hold the ladder for you.

See above.

Get a flashlight. I've unclogged gutters in the dark before, holding a flashlight in my teeth. If you're able to climb a ladder, you can too.

You don't need to get on the roof, you just need to get up the ladder far enough that your head and shoulders are above the gutter.

Perhaps. But it will fix the problem. Hydraulic cement may or may not work, depending on how fast the water is coming in.

You don't have to go on the roof. You can do the whole job from the ladder.

You're missing the point: there may not BE a temporary solution. The water may be coming in too fast, or too forcefully, for hydraulic cement to work. Unclogging the gutter, OTOH, will fix the problem.

Nobody's stopping you from asking, and I did tell you about hydraulic cement in my first response. But if you want to fix the problem, you're gonna need to get up on that ladder. Not on the roof. Just on the ladder. Problem is, you don't want to, and you're making excuses. It's not impossible. It's not even all that hard. There are many ways to secure a ladder so it won't slip. You don't have to get up on the roof. And you don't really even need to see what you're doing -- it's not that hard to unclog a gutter by feel alone, in total darkness.
If you're acrophobic (which I'm beginning to suspect), offer your next-door neighbor a six-pack to do it for you while you hold the ladder. Most guys will do things for ten dollars' worth of beer, that they wouldn't do for a hundred in cash.
It the water is coming in fast enough to run 6 feet across the floor in 3 minutes, you need to do more than clean out the gutter to prevent this from happening again. Quick fix or not, eventually you're gutter will clog again, and water will come in again, and you will be wishing you'd taken the time to repair the problem correctly the 1st time.
wrote:

the
would be

grabbing
work,
suicide.
ladder.
trying to

may
But let me

cement
need to

you
even
You
what
total
next-door
will
hundred
you know the problem, you know the solution. you cludge up a solution, guess what. it sucks.
quit bitching and clean the gutter.
randy

would
I am

suicide.
But
picking up

turn
from the

Even if it was quiet, you wouldn't run it 24x7. It would melt down.

You could temporarily cover the ground with plastic and plywood until you can find someone to clean the gutter for you. Bottom line: the gutter needs to be fixed. There is no cheap quick remedy that is worth a dime.
BB

pouring
rain,
would be

something
am going

can
be
Two spotters on the ladder, and a new pair of Sperry Topsider deck shoes to minimize slippage. End of story.

Yeh, I just happen to have a new pair still in the box, just waiting for a rainy evening when I feel the need to walk on a roof.
GIMME A FRIGGIN BREAK!

the
rainy
Fine. Pay a roofer to go up there on a ladder and clean your gutters. You came here looking for ideas, but you keep shooting down the ones provided by people who've already been through this. Good luck. There's no easy, magical solution.

No, I came here asking if there was any product that could do a specific task. That was all I needed an answer for. There were only 2 options in my situation. 1. Find a temporary patch for the leak so I can safely deal with the gutter once the rain stops. 2. Clean the gutter.
Number 2 I can handle. That, my friend, is a no-brainer. Number 1 was why I posted here, seeking a specific product.
I don't see where your suggestion of a brand of footwear really applies to the question I posted. Please feel free to explain how shoes will answer whether or not there is a product that will temporarily patch a crack in a wet wall?
Thanks, Mike

for a

You
provided by

magical
task.
gutter once

the
whether or

You said: "I cant get up to clear the gutters in the rain, and they are predicting rain for the next 3 days, so I need a quick fix."
Among the reasons for your saying this, I came up with two possibilities. The first is that water might make you melt, like the witch in "Wizard of Oz". The second is that you were concerned about slipping. The second seemed the more likely reason.
Next: You did NOT say your car was out of service, so it was safe to assume you could get out of the house and purchase shoes which would increase your safety significantly while dealing with your current crisis, and look good with khakis for several years afterward.
Next: Someone mentioned hydraulic cement, but you still sound as if the problem hasn't been solved. If this is true, did you want the correct product delivered? Or, did you get on the phone to some hardware stores and ask if they carried the aforementioned product?
said...

He didn't say anything about walking on the roof. Can't you get to the gutters with a ladder? If that's the case, lightning is the only real concern.

is
the
shoes to

a rainy

I can't wait till this guy experiences ice damming when it's 7 degrees for 3 weeks in a row, with no warming trend in site, and the water's pouring down the insides of his walls. Priceless.
hydraulic cement

framing
right
they are

special
crack in

can go

Consider leafguard brand gutters for that strategic area. They work. Add on gutter helmets do not work in my experience but I haven't cleaned my leafguard gutter in 8 years and everyonece in a while I take a peak and they are completely clean inside.
Also newer Sear wet/vacs are far superior to older ones. I got one that actually takes a U shaped bag for dry stuff and has 3 filter stages and it is guiet and powerful. Gave my old one away.

framing
right
they are

special
crack in

can go

AlienZen wrote: > I cant get up to clear the gutters in the rain, and they are

Wire hanger and a broom stick?