Quick Attic Ventilation Question

WRONG AGAIN. Use your head: The best vented attic would be a suspended roof open on all sides.

You cannot have too many vents-- period. This "bypassing" that is talked about (turbines with gables with power fans, etc.) is not harmful to proper venting.

The key is to have AT LEAST THE MINIMUM REQUIRED VENTING at the soffits and at the top. However, you cannot have "too much venting", and "bypassing" is not a bad thing.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

WRONG. The Ultimate vented attic would be a suspended roof open on all sides and with a huge hole in the top.

You cannot have TOO MANY vents.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message news:P2Ske.6500$Is4.5451@attbi_s21...

You must be one of the types that listen but don't hear. No one said anything that advocates minimizing the amount of ventilation. What is being tossed around is the best "design solution" to maximizing the amount of ventilation one can expect to get in an attic. In your comment "The best vented attic would be a suspended roof open on all sides"---So what, too simplistic and not an option in a house so forget it. You apparently don't know anything about fluid dynamics--air flow, pressure drop, resistance, path of least resistance etc.. You have no idea what the air flow path will be, without an analysis or experimentation, if you have more than one flow path. Think of an electrical circuit with two or more parallel paths. The current (air flow) will not be the same for each path unless they are all of equal resistance (or do you want to dispute that too). If you take the time to do a bit of reading (just goggle roof vents, or the like) you'll be lead to a number of sources that cover the topic. What you'll learn is that you cannot arbitrarily open up a bunch of holes and expect to get the best ventilation setup. This has been well thought out and one conclusion is that gable vents in parallel with soffit vents are not the optimum solution for a well ventilated attic. Of course if you disagree, that's not a problem but do more than blow your horn---provide some analysis, reference document or any source of information that we can look at----gut feelings don't work when you're trying to solve an engineering problem--and that's what this is whether you recognize it or not. MLD

Reply to
MLD

You can't handle the truth.

Even when the dreaded "bypassing" is occurring between two vents close to each other, the attic is still being vented.

I stand by my statement that it is impossible to have "too many" vents.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I've worked with people just like you---Guess what, they were always the first ones laid off!!

Reply to
MLD

I've worked with people like you. They were the ones who read their horoscopes and asked for validation of their narrow-minded opinions from strangers on newsgroups.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Ooops, looks like I stuck a nerve. The truth shouldn't hurt unless it ought to----BTW, where did you meet these people, in the unemployment line??

Reply to
MLD

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:57:24 GMT, "Oscar_Lives" scribbled this interesting note:

While true, this still begs the question: Is this the best venting that can be obtained or is there a better design? Isn't it possible that a better designed system may, just may have the same or fewer vent openings, the same net free area, and do the job better?

Thank you for your personal opinion.

John Willis

"Arguing with someone on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.....even if you win you are still retarded"

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Autoflame A+. Props to you Oscar.

Reply to
tm

Ambiguous comment--are you referring yourself? BTW, kind of curious at this point--which number is larger--Your hat size or your IQ?

Reply to
MLD