Questons about concrete block construction??

I am doing some planning on building a small garage, about 16 X 24 ft. It will have a concrete floor, and concrete block walls.

Here are my questions:

  1. What is the most common size of concrete block ? I seem to think it may be 8 X 8 X 16. Is that right?

  1. None of the walls will be backfilled. They will all be above ground. That being the case, should the blocks be poured with concrete? What are the pros and cons of doing this if the walls are not backfilled?

-------------------------

Thanks for any comments !!!

--James--

Reply to
James

Normally in places without a wind code (perhaps seismic code) you don't pour the cells. If you are coastal and want the walls to be strong, bring a #5 rebar up from the footer in the corners, the door jambs, windows and every

5' of a blank wall. Tie this to a rod coming down from the top and then run rebar around the top of the wall. Pour the dowel (rebar) cells and the top 2 courses solid. That is 140 MPH wind code. This is Florida construction. I was really showing the ground electrode but the middle 2 frames show the dowelled cells.
gfretwell

Go to your local block company, not the box stores for block sizes and styles.

James you really need to check the building code in your area. Yes your going to be pouring some of the cells both horizontially and veritcally. Your going to put a roof on right? What does your building code say about footers, stems which are the foundation of a building. Where I live what you building would require, plans, and a permit. Do your home work call some contractors Then see if the piggy bank is flush enough. Your talking about something over $15k closer to 30.

Have you priced reddy mix lately? Last week it was $132 delivered 8 yard min, 40 minutes to dump, $20 bucks a minute for anything over 40 minutes... Ya that is 5 minutes a yard. Pro crews can handle it can you?

Reply to
SQLit