questions on period style remodeling

We have an old Craftsman's Bungalow home and we wanted to know what the period style for remodeling the inside and outside would be. What type of ceiling i.e. textured, papered or painted. What type of walls i.e. papered or painted. What type of floor in bathroom i.e. hard wood, tile, or Vnyl. What type of floor in the kitchen i.e. hard wood or ?? The rooms we are redoing are: Bathroom, kitchen and dinning room.

For the outside what type of lattice would be period correct for the underside of the front porch, square or diamond?

Thank for any and all help.

Reply to
bob

No one else has answered yet so I will share the very little that I know.

1910-1930 construction of this type of dwelling generally used papered or maybe tin ceilings at the higher price levels. The walls were almost always papered over the bare plaster. The kitchen floors were usually hardwood and the bath done in 1" octagon ceramic tile.

I think the lattice was square with an approximate 1" opening.

I am sure they are some real informative sites where you can get a lot more and better information. Try a google search using "Craftsman's Bungalow home" with the quotes and see what you get.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Berkeley/Bay area has tons of these. I love them and the ones that were for sale had problems - like often no garage.

That said, there are BUNCHES of books. Any mid-size city library should have or be able to get these books.

My bro and sister in law where restoring their (some other kind of house) and got into some AA type thing for housing rehabbers. She ended up getting a masters in historical restoration or something close to that.

Books and librarians will be your friend.

Reply to
chuck yerkes

I really think that you should avoid the remodeling when you are having your period. Not only will it most likely get you frustrated and angry, but you will get blood all over the newly painted walls,

Reply to
777777777