questions on closet organizer

I am planning to build a master closet organizer for a walk in closet. I am basically building big boxes as follows: using 3/4 oak furniture grade plywood for the tall sides and shelves and tops they are 15" deep there will be bascially 4 boxes of the following sizes 1) 50" wide X 81" tall x 14" deep 2) 61"w x 81" h x 14"d 3) 36"w x 84"h x 14"d 4) 48"w x 84"h x 14"d

the first 2 will be along one wall separated by a 3 ft door #1 is for long clothes #2 is double hang with a shelf in the middle

#3 and 4 will be joined together next to each other #3 is for long clothes #4 is double hang with shelf in middle

for each box I will have a brace near the top and bottom so that I can attach the box to the wall. the side panels will screw into the braces (i am assuming the braces should be solid wood)

| | |==========| < brace | | | | | | |==========|

Reply to
patliz1

This post is a lot to digest at this hour, but, your way overbuilding this. It will be stronger than the house its going in.

It sounds like you&#39;re building these like cabinets. So, the top shelf should be screwed to the side panels. And the bottom shelf too. No toe kick necessary. To hang them, use two bevelled strips of wood, bolt one to the wall, attach the other to the cabinet, and just hang.

A few thoughts. It sounds like you&#39;re standing these on the floor. Don&#39;t do that, hang them from the wall. Keeping the bottom clear means you don&#39;t have to deal with the baseboard trim, and you can keep odd size items and boxes handy. Makes cleaning down there where the dust collects easier too.

For construction, oak plywood is overkill. You don&#39;t need the strength and the oak will weigh more than pine ply. You can get pine ply with an oak face if you want it stained. Even particleboard will be more than strong enough.

For the pole, if you use a large enough wood pole you should have no problem at 4 feet, maybe even 5. If you go with steel, you&#39;ll have no problem at almost any length. For the shelves, with ply you may have a little sagging at 4 feet, and maybe a little more at 5. If you do, you can screw a length of wood or a perpendicular strip of ply to the bottom for reinforcement.

Have fun and good luck!

mrsgator88

Thanks for the suggestions. I started looking some more yesterday and saw a lot of the closets only go half way down instead of all the way to the floor. So I will modify that aspect--saves on wood.

I thought there was a problem of screwing into the edge of plywood ie the top shelf going into the top edge of the said panels--hence the corner block. I am going to use the steel poles.

I am still worreid about the sides being rigid enough, even if I only go half way down. I now the pole will add some sturdiness to the sides. Maybe I&#39;ll just and a small L-bracket near the bottom of the side panels.

I&#39;ll have to visit the idea of just hanging them from the wall like you suggested.

Thanks again for your input.

Reply to
patliz1