Questions for electrical experts about whirlpool bath

I pulled the wall switch for the whirlpool bath off of my bathroom wall to replace it because it got cracked accidently.
While replacing it I noticed that the black and white wires were wired as normal with the load going through the switch. But I noticed the bare ground wires were not connected which I thought was weird so I connected them together. When I turned the breaker on it immediately reset so then I unconnected the grounds it worked fine again.
The circuit breaker in the basement is a 20 amp dedicated GFCI breaker. Is there something about the whirlpool being connected to the GFCI in the panel that needs the grounds not to be wired together in the wall switch. Thanks for any help!
Sheila
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You have a shorted whirlpool motor (neutral shorted to the case). Looks like it was shorted from day one as they could never connect the grounds. It may not have bothered a non-GFCI breaker but should be corrected.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖

While that's possible, it can only be determined by finding where the load cable from the switch is attaching to the tub equipment. It may be something as simple as the ground conductor resting against a hot or neutral terminal in the junction box. It certainly can't be determined (at the switch on the wall), that it's a motor problem
Add pictures here
✖
If you can't determine what's causing the problem, the GFI breaker will still work without the grounds connected as they only look at the current in the hot and neutral. But it should still be determined whats tripping the breaker.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 16, 6:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

this COULD be quite dangerous, do not use the whirlpool until you figure out what is going on..
Mark
Add pictures here
✖

The grounds need to be connected. There is a problem somewhere that is causing the GFI circuit breaker to trip. Try disconnecting the spa motor and then see if the breaker trips with the grounds connected in the switch box.
I usually install a GFI switch in the bathroom out of sight instead of a GFI breaker in the circuit breaker panel.
Add pictures here
✖