Questions for copper REPIPE experts

Hello,

I have a house that was built in 1956. Galvanized pipe ran throughout the house before. I purchased the house last year. The back yard water spigot, originally galvanized pipe, was replaced in 2001 with copper. That was the only pipe that was repiped up until last week. Last week I decided to have the house repiped with copper as I noticed that some of the pipes under the kitchen sink were rusting through. I don't want to have to worry about pipes later down the road.

So the repipe work was done last week. For the most part, everything is good and the water flows nicely. He had to bypass some of the pipes due to inaccessibility. However, I noticed that he did not replace the pipe that leads from the faucet to the shower head in both of our bathrooms. I noticed this when he still had the wall open. Also, we have some galvanized pipe that is embedded in a concrete slab that he did not replace/bypass. He replaced the pipe below (before) it (the water supply line) and after it (that goes to the water heater).

My question is: should I be concerned? I have heard that copper and galvanized pipe in the same system is not a good thing, that the copper will react with the galvanized pipe and cause the galvanized pipe to rust out quickly. I would hate to have a leak between the bathroom walls or near the water heater that could ruin my walls or flood my house. What should I do? Should I call him back and have him change those galvanized pipes to copper, too? FWIW, I get the feeling that he did the job to us as a favor (he's doing the whole thing for $4500 - family friend) and that as such, he wasn't too shy on cutting a few (maybe minor?) corners. But maybe I am just being paranoid or anal. Suggestions/comments?

Reply to
Seven

You don't give a true estimate of all the work he had to do, or how much material was involved, but $4500 doesn't sound like he gave you that much of a break. And giving a break shouldn't mean cutting corners.

As for the galvanized he left, as long has he used the proper type of transitional connection between the copper and the old galvanized, such as a brass coupling, then you shouldn't have a problem. If he connected the copper directly to the galvanized, then you're in for problems in short order as the joints will corrode and leak eventually.

If you've got good pressure from your showers, I wouldn't worry about the riser pipes. A lot of new faucet intallations call for iron pipe in this area for some reason anyway. If the pressure isn't so good at the shower, but is at the faucet, then you might want to consider replacing it, as long as you are sure it isn't the showerhead itself. They could be low-flow, which won't be improved by replacing the pipe.

Mark

Reply to
mwlogs

There are supposed to be dielectric unions between the copper and galv pipe. As far as the pipes to the shower head, they are fine. The only time water is in them is during a shower. They will probably outlive the house. The stuff under the concrete is different, but unless you want the entire house torn apart, what choice is there.

Reply to
me

What was your agreement with him? If it was to replace all the galvanized, then have him DO that.

It takes special fittings to join them. As him about it...and make sure he used them where necessary.

Sure...if that was indeed your agreement.

Only saying...

Only yer friends will screw you...'cause you won't let yer enemies get away with it!

$4500 doesn't sound like a bargain price...depends. Anyway, have him do it to the specs that you both agreed upon.

Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

Trent

Reply to
Trent©